2019-20 Austrian Cup Final – Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau Preview & Prediction
When is Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau taking place? Friday 29th May, 2020 – 19:45 (UK)
Where is Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau taking place? Wörthersee Stadion, Klagenfurt am Wörthersee
Where can I get tickets for Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau? Ticket information can be found on each club’s official website
What television channel is Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Salzburg vs Austria Lustenau? Bet365 members can stream Austrian Cup matches so it is worth checking their schedule
THE TEAM NEWS
- Salzburg are aiming for their seventh Austrian Cup title in the last nine years and will do so as overwhelming favourites against a mid-table side from the second-tier of Austrian football.
- They are not certain to defend their Bundesliga title given that they enter the Championship round in second place so securing silverware in the cup could be the highlight of their season.
- This season has seen the departure of key attacking players such as Erling Braut Haaland and Takumi Minamino but Salzburg still possess the likes of Hwang Hee-chan and Patson Daka and Austria Lustenau will surely have their hands full in trying to contain those dangermen.
- It has been a fairytale run for second-tier side Austria Lustenau who have already beaten Bundesliga opposition in the competition and had to survive extra-time in one match and penalties in another so they are fully deserving of their place in the final.
- It is in fact not the first time they have made it to this stage as a second-tier club as they also reached the 2010-11 final where they lost 2-0 to Ried, who were themselves a Bundesliga side at the time.
- They will aim to go one better here and they will believe they have a fighting chance with Ronivaldo in their ranks. The Brazilian striker has scored 23 goals this season including seven in his four cup appearances and he will need to be on the top of his game against the might of Salzburg.
This can certainly be seen as a David vs Goliath affair and it is one which has been eagerly anticipated given that it heralds the return of football in Austria in the wake of the global coronavirus pandemic. Salzburg have dominated the domestic football scene over the past few years and are undoubtedly the heavy favourites to pick up the title, but their second-tier opponents will be relishing the opportunity to cause a huge upset. Austria Lustenau’s best hope will be that the enforced break will have evened the playing field a little and they will also need star striker Ronivaldo to be at his prolific best. If both those factors turn out to be the case then they can’t be completely ruled out, but in truth it is highly likely that Salzburg’s class will tell in the end. The Bundesliga side should emerge victorious, but it may be a closer affair than many expect.