2019–20 Austrian Bundesliga – Salzburg vs Rapid Wien Preview & Prediction
When is Salzburg vs Rapid Wien taking place? Wednesday 3rd June, 2020 – 19:30 (UK)
Where is Salzburg vs Rapid Wien taking place? Red Bull Arena, Wals-Siezenheim
Where can I get tickets for Salzburg vs Rapid Wien? Ticket information can be found on each club’s official website
What television channel is Salzburg vs Rapid Wien on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Salzburg vs Rapid Wien? Bet365 members can stream Austrian Bundesliga matches so it is worth checking their schedule
THE TEAM NEWS
- After somewhat surprisingly finishing the regular season behind LASK in the league table, Salzburg go into the Championship Round three points clear of their rivals after LASK were deducted points for fielding team training sessions during the lockdown period.
- This means the reigning champions are in pole position to claim the Bundesliga title for the seventh season in succession but there are no guarantees especially as they have shown some patchy form since the high-profile departures of Erling Braut Haaland and Takumi Minamino.
- Salzburg won their last league game prior to the enforced break but leading up to that they endured a four-game winless streak in the Bundesliga which is almost unheard of for them, but their more immediate preparations have been ideal as they emphatically beat Austria Lustenau 5-0 in the cup final last week to pick up some silverware.
- After a disappointing 2018-19 campaign when they missed out on the Championship Round, Rapid Wien have been vastly improved this time around as they finished the regular league phase in third place and they are only four points behind leaders Salzburg so they will have designs on maintaining a title challenge.
- They drew two of their last three matches in the Bundesliga prior to the break against teams they would have been expected to beat but from here on in they can’t really afford many slip-ups if they are to challenge LASK and Salzburg for the title.
- Forward Taxiarchis Fountas was in fine form prior to the disruption of the league with six goals in his last six appearances and coach Dietmar Kuhbauer will be preying that his main man can stay fit for the run-in.
Salzburg resume their league campaign unexpectedly in first place after LASK’s points deduction and so the reigning champions know their fate is now in their own hands. Rapid Wien can certainly not be discounted as a title challenger though and this is something of a six-pointer given the two teams' proximity in the table. Salzburg were stuttering before the break but they will be hugely buoyed by the fact they picked up some silverware last week in the Austrian Cup. Rapid Wien will no doubt prove to be sterner opposition than second-tier Austria Wien, but Salzburg generally have the upper hand in this fixture and should emerge victorious in this one.