2019 Copa Libertadores – River Plate vs Cerro Porteno Preview & Prediction
When is River Plate vs Cerro Porteno taking place? Friday 23th August, 2019 – 01:30 (UK)
Where is River Plate vs Cerro Porteno taking place? Estadio Monumental, Buenos Aires
What television channel is River Plate vs Cerro Porteno on? Fox Sports in Latin America. No broadcast in the UK region.
Where can I stream River Plate vs Cerro Porteno? Fox Sports GO and bet365 (where applicable)
Where can I get tickets for River Plate vs Cerro Porteno? Check official club websites for ticket details
THE TEAM NEWS
- River Plate are coming off a huge 6-1 win over Racing Club the last time out and are undefeated in their last six competitive games (W4, D2) in all competitions. Plus, River are undefeated in their last eight home outings (W6, D2). Javier Pinola, Leonardo Ponzio and Juan Fernando Quintero are all out due to injury.
- River Plate have not dazzled on the attacking end, but someone to watch is goalkeeper Franco Armani. The Argentina international played a huge role in the Round of 16 tie against Cruzeiro, and right now he’s the team’s important player.
- River Plate had to decide their fate in a penalty shootout against Cruzeiro in the Round of 16; both matches ended 0-0 but River advanced via penalties. So far, ‘La Banda Sangre’ remain undefeated in the competition despite winning just two out of eight possible matches (W2, D6).
- Cerro Porteno have won just two of their last five games in all competitions (W2, D2, L1), and they have also lost just once in their last five away contests (W3, D1, L1). The Paraguayan side are at full strength since there are no injuries concerns on their end.
- Nelson Haedo Valdez will have the responsibility of beating Armani and River Plate’s strong defensive line. The former Paraguay international has three goals in the 2019 Copa Libertadores so far and is known for playing at his best on the clutch.
- Cerro Porteno defeated San Lorenzo in the Round of 16, securing a 0-0 draw away and winning 2-1 at home in the return leg. The Paraguayan side own a W5, D2, L1 mark in the 2019 Copa Libertadores, but have won just once in their last four outings (W1, D2, L1).
River Plate’s strength lies on the defensive side of the ball, while Cerro Porteno are known for being a team that can score against any opposition. Only four of Cerro’s games have had over 2.5 goals scored, while River’s matches have seen three or more goals thrice. This game should be extremely tight and it wouldn’t be surprising if it ends in a draw, although River might have a slight edge since they’re undefeated so far while also playing at home.