2020 Unibet Premier League Darts – Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright taking place? Thursday 6th February, 2020 – evening (UK)
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright taking place? P&J Live
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright on? Sky Sports Action
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright? Click here to purchase tickets for the 2020 Premier League Darts
What was the score in the last meeting? Peter Wright beat Michael van Gerwen 7-3
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- Michael van Gerwen claimed his fourth consecutive Premier League title last May with an 11-5 victory against Rob Cross in the final, with an average of 103.36.
- Since making his debut in 2013 Van Gerwen has been dominant in the league phase of the Premier League and has never failed to finish at the top of the table.
- Van Gerwen switched darts manufacturers since losing against Wright in the World Championship final, and his first competitive match with new darts was not successful as he suffered an opening round exit to Jonny Clayton at the recent Ladbrokes Masters.
- Recently crowned World Champion Peter Wright defeated Michael van Gerwen 7-3 to win the £500,000 first prize and the Sid Waddell trophy at Alexandra Palace at the start of this year.
- Wright followed up his victory at the World Championship with a triumph at the Masters last Sunday, where Snakebite was the best player over the weekend but did have to survive three missed match darts from Michael Smith in the final.
- His 2019 Premier League campaign ended very disappointingly with six consecutive defeats and no wins in his last 11 matches. Wright has failed to qualify for the play-offs in five of his six previous appearances in the tournament, though he did reach the final in 2017 when he missed match darts to win the title.
This is a mouth-watering opening night fixture and a repeat of the recent World Championship final when Peter Wright claimed the spoils with a tremendous 7-3 victory against the defending champion. Michael van Gerwen has a very formidable record in the Premier League but he is still beatable in this competition but the form of Peter Wright and a change of darts from MVG certainly cast some doubts on a winning start for the world number one. Wright is brimming with confidence right now and backed by a vocal Scottish crowd he is capable of claiming a victory. If you are opting to be a little more cautious a Peter Wright or Draw bet is also a tempting punt.