2020 Betfred World Matchplay – Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Tuesday 21st July, 2020 (session starts at 18:00 (UK))
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock on? Sky Sports
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Simon Whitlock? The 2020 Betfred World Matchplay will take place behind closed doors
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Michael van Gerwen beat Simon Whitlock 8-3
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- Michael van Gerwen moved through to round two with a 10-7 victory over Brendan Dolan with the Dutchman winning three legs in a row when the match was finely poised at seven legs apiece.
- The world number one had looked set for a more comfortable win when he led 4-1 and 5-2 but his determined opponent rallied to level the match and was very much in contention until MVG finally managed to shake him off.
- Van Gerwen was below par by his own high standards for much of the contest, finishing the match with an average of just below 100 and a checkout percentage of 38.5%.
- Simon Whitlock progressed through to the second round at the Matchplay for the ninth time in 11 years with a comfortable 10-4 victory over Ryan Joyce in the opening match of the tournament.
- Neither player was near their best as they perhaps struggled to adapt to the unfamiliar conditions but Whitlock settled into the contest quicker and never really looked like losing after he went into a 3-0 lead, despite Joyce having numerous chances to win legs.
- The Wizard will certainly have to improve on that first round performance if he is to progress any further as an average of 89.96 is not likely to be anywhere near good enough to overcome the number one seed.
Michael van Gerwen’s record against Simon Whitlock is a very dominant one as he has won 15 consecutive games against the Australian and, going back a little further, the Dutchman has tasted victory 24 of their last 25 meetings. The number one seed was not at his best against Dolan in round one but even if he plays at a similar level in this game he is still likely to have the edge over an opponent he has beaten so many times. Just backing a Van Gerwen win does not give much value, but betting on them to be level after six legs with Van Gerwen going on to win the match offers decent odds.