2020 Betfred World Matchplay – Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan taking place? Saturday 18th July, 2020 (session starts at 18:00 (UK))
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan taking place? Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan on? Sky Sports
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Brendan Dolan? The 2020 Betfred World Matchplay will take place behind closed doors
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Brendan Dolan beat Michael van Gerwen 6-4
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- The number one seed Michael van Gerwen starts as the pre-tournament favourite to win the 2020 World Matchplay and the Dutchman will be desperate to claim the title for the first time since 2016.
- Since his triumph in 2016, Mighty Mike has not progressed further than the quarter-finals. In 2018 he fell at the first hurdle against Jeffrey de Zwaan and last year he lost in round two against Glen Durrant.
- MVG showed that the lack of competitive action in recent months has not hindered him too much by claiming two ranking titles in the PDC Summer Series as the tour returned last week following the enforced break due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Brendan Dolan has earned qualification for the World Matchplay for the first time since 2016 and as a reward he has the unenviable task of a game against the best player in the world in round one.
- Dolan won’t be phased by the task ahead though as he has already tasted victory against Van Gerwen in 2020 and their last four meetings have seen them both win two matches apiece.
- The Northern Irishman reached the final of a tour event just prior to the enforced break but on his return to action in the Summer Series he was unable to recapture that form with his best showing being a run to the last 16.
Michael van Gerwen will certainly be determined to succeed in this tournament after such a gap since he last claimed the title. He will of course miss the buzz of the crowd, but as he’s regularly won events that are played behind closed doors that is unlikely to deter him too much. Brendan Dolan is a tricky opponent for the Dutchman - as mentioned he won their only previous meeting in 2020 - but Van Gerwen is likely to have too much quality for the History Maker over this longer format and he is predicted to move through to round two with a 10-6 victory.