2020 BDO World Darts Championship – Scott Waites vs Scott Mitchell Preview & Prediction
When is Scott Waites vs Scott Mitchell taking place? Friday 10th January, 2020 – evening
Where is Scott Waites vs Scott Mitchell taking place? Indigo at The O2, London
Where can I stream Scott Waites vs Scott Mitchell? If televised on Eurosport, then the match can be streamed on either Sky Go or Eurosport Player
Where can I get tickets for Scott Waites vs Scott Mitchell? Click here to purchase tickets
- Two-time champion Scott Waites recovered from losing the opening two sets to win 4-2 against number one seed Wesley Harms in the last 16.
- In his victory against Harms, Waites averaged under 90 for the second match in a row, and it’s the first time he has recorded consecutive sub-90 averages in a World Championship tournament since 2012.
- The consistency of the Yorkshireman at this tournament is shown by the fact this is his ninth time in the quarter-finals. He has won four of his last five quarter-final matches at the BDO World Championship.
- 2015 champion Scott Mitchell has dropped only one set in defeating Leighton Bennett and Michael Unterbuchner to reach the quarter-finals.
- His 4-0 victory against Michael Unterbuchner was much more comprehensive than expected. Mitchell’s 50% checkout percentage proved to be the crucial difference, with his German opponent missing four darts to win set two and a further four darts to win set three.
- Since winning the world title in 2015, Mitchell has not gone further than the quarter-finals as he has suffered 5-3 defeats against Richard Veenstra (2016) and Jim Williams (2019) in his last two appearances in the quarters.
This is a tantalising contest between the only two players left in the men’s draw who have won the BDO World Championship title. Mitchell was very impressive against Unterbuchner, producing a consistent all-round performance that was too good for his opponent. Scott Waites looked to be in trouble against Wesley Harms but managed to turn the game around. He has a knack of producing the big shots at the right time and this might just be the difference that sees Waites win, in what is a very tough game to predict.