2020 BDO World Darts Championship – David Evans vs Mario Vandenbogaerde Preview & Prediction
When is David Evans vs Mario Vandenbogaerde taking place? Friday 10th January, 2020 – afternoon
Where is David Evans vs Mario Vandenbogaerde taking place? Indigo at The O2, London
Where can I stream David Evans vs Mario Vandenbogaerde? If televised on Eurosport, then the match can be streamed on either Sky Go or Eurosport Player
Where can I get tickets for David Evans vs Mario Vandenbogaerde? Click here to purchase tickets
- World Championship debutant David Evans has reached this stage of the tournament with a 3-2 win against Nick Fullwell followed by an impressive 4-2 victory against number three seed Richard Veenstra in the last 16.
- The performance from Evans in his win against Veenstra was very eye-catching; he stormed into a 3-0 lead with an average of just under 100 and then held off a strong comeback by the Dutchman by winning the crucial fifth leg of the sixth set.
- With no previous appearances at this stage in any major tournament previously, this is by far the biggest occasion of his career so far. With wins against the likes of Gary Anderson and Gerwyn Price in PDC ranking tournaments over the last couple of years, he is unlikely to lack belief though.
- Mario Vandenbogaerde has been untroubled in reaching this stage of the tournament, with a 3-0 win against Sebastian Steyer in round one followed by a 4-1 victory against Dennie Olde Kalter in the last 16.
- Vandenbogaerde won the first 11 legs of his match against Olde Kalter as his opponent struggled to find his form. Although the Dutchman did rally to claim a set, it was only a brief reprieve with Vandenbogaerde winning the fifth set without dropping a leg.
- His impressive cool finishing has been the highlight of his play during the tournament, with the Belgian recording a checkout percentage of over 50% in both of his previous matches.
Both of these debutants have looked calm and confident in progressing through to the quarter-finals and this has the potential to be a good quality contest. Vandenbogaerde has been more consistent across his two matches, especially in his finishing, but it is hard to ignore the performance Evans produced when defeating Veenstra. If Evans can replicate that level of play, he is certainly capable of winning this encounter. The main prediction though is for over 7.5 sets in the match.