2019 BoyleSports World Grand Prix – Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King taking place? Thursday 10th October, 2019 – evening session
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King taking place? Citywest Convention Centre, Dublin
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King on? Sky Sports Arena
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Mervyn King? Tickets are available on Ticketmaster
All-time meetings: Michael van Gerwen 29-12 Mervyn King
Last meeting: Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Mervyn King
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- Michael van Gerwen was in ominously impressive form as he breezed through his second-round match with compatriot Jeffrey de Zwaan by a 3-0 scoreline on Tuesday evening.
- Van Gerwen's average of 94.79 against De Zwaan is the highest of the tournament to date and was ten points higher than he posted against Hughes in round one. He also showed ruthless form in closing out legs with a 56.25% success on his finishing doubles.
- MVG has an excellent record in the quarter-finals here in Dublin with five wins from his previous six appearances in the last eight, his only defeat at this stage of the tournament was a 3-2 defeat against Dave Chisnall in 2013.
- Mervyn King ousted James Wade in the second round on Tuesday evening to reach the quarter-final stage for the first time since 2014 when he coincidentally also faced Michael van Gerwen.
- Having struggled when losing the opening set against Wade, King looked in for a tough night when he was broken in the first leg of the second set but a 109 finish to break straight back seemingly turned the game around as King only dropped two more legs in the whole match thereafter
- King has already beaten Van Gerwen on the TV stage this year having claimed the scalp of the Dutchman in a 10-6 win at the UK Open.
Although Van Gerwen has shown plenty of vulnerability this year, the four-time champion has played like a man with something to prove so far and was especially ruthless against De Zwaan in the second round. King is capable of matching Van Gerwen for spells but the Dutchman is looking very focused and his class should shine through.