2019 BoyleSports World Grand Prix – Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock Preview & Prediction
When is Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Sunday 6th October, 2019 – evening session
Where is Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Citywest Convention Centre, Dublin
What channel is Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock on? Sky Sports Arena
Where can I stream Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael Smith vs Simon Whitlock? Tickets are available on Ticketmaster
All-time meetings: Michael Smith 8-5 Simon Whitlock
Last meeting: Michael Smith 7-1 Simon Whitlock
- Michael Smith’s consistency on the big stage is improving all the time and he is getting closer to his first TV ranking title having reached the World Championship and World Matchplay finals in 2019.
- Despite making good progression in other TV tournaments Smith will be aiming to improve on his poor record at the World Grand Prix where he has won only one match in six previous appearances.
- ‘Bully Boy’ has a good record against Whitlock on the TV stage having won all of their four previous meetings which includes a 7-1 triumph in their last TV encounter in the 2018 Premier League.
- 2012 European Championship winner Simon Whitlock came close to winning the World Grand Prix in 2017 when he led Daryl Gurney 4-3 only to lose out 5-4 in a thrilling final.
- Simon Whitlock has a decent record here and has made it through the first round in six of his nine previous World Grand Prix appearances – though he did lose in round one to James Wilson last year.
- Having had a relatively disappointing 2019 which started when he missed out on a Premier League place, Whitlock will be aiming to rediscover some of his form from last Autumn when he reached the European Championship final.
The very talented Michael Smith has established himself as a regular contender in TV ranking tournaments and it seems only a matter of time before he wins one. He faces a very awkward opening match against Whitlock who reached the final here in 2017. Smith has a good record against the Australian though and is tipped to win this round one tussle.