2019-20 PDC World Darts Championship – Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward Preview & Prediction
When is Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward taking place? Saturday 21st December, 2019 – afternoon
Where is Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward taking place? Alexandra Palace, London
What channel is Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward on? Sky Sports Darts
Where can I stream Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Simon Whitlock vs Harry Ward? https://www.pdc.tv/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Simon Whitlock beat Harry Ward 6-2
- Simon Whitlock has reached the final at both the BDO and PDC World Championship, but his recent World Championship record is not good with four opening match defeats in the last six years at Alexandra Palace.
- At the 2018-19 World Championship he was well beaten by Ryan Joyce, finishing the match with an average of 87.63 and winning only four legs in the 3-0 defeat.
- Whitlock has had a very mixed season with some good runs on the Euro Tour, but also way too many early exits. In the big ranking tournaments, he has failed to make the quarter-finals since the Grand Slam of Darts in November 2018.
- World Championship debutant Harry Ward came from behind to win 3-2 against Latvia’s Madars Razma and reach round two. Ward had trailed 2-1 in sets and 2-0 in the fourth set but managed to turn things around by winning six consecutive legs to seal the victory.
- His match against Razma wasn’t of a great standard with both players finishing the match with an average of under 85 – Ward’s superior checkout percentage of 45% was the pivotal difference between the pair.
- Ward claimed a first PDC ranking title this season but is still very much a newcomer to the big stage having only competed at the UK Open and Players Championship Finals previously.
Simon Whitlock has a good World Championship pedigree having reached the final in both codes but his recent performances at Alexandra Palace have not been good and he is some way off the consistent player that was a contender in the latter stages of this tournament. The Wizard is still capable of putting in some strong performances and may need to do so here to see off a tricky young opponent in Ward. Whitlock is predicted to win but it won’t be an easy victory.