2019-20 PDC World Darts Championship – Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright taking place? Wednesday 1st January, 2020 – evening
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright taking place? Alexandra Palace, London
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright on? Sky Sports Darts
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Peter Wright? https://www.pdc.tv/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Michael van Gerwen beat Peter Wright 11-10
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- Defending champion Michael van Gerwen was again below his best with an average of 96.34 as he defeated Nathan Aspinall 6-3. Van Gerwen crucially won four of the five sets that went to deciding legs.
- His average of 96.34 against Aspinall means he has recorded an average of under 97 in three of his four matches at the 2019-20 PDC World Championship. In his last two successful World Championship campaigns, he didn’t average under 100 in any of his matches.
- Van Gerwen has a perfect winning record against Peter Wright in their previous meetings in TV tournament finals with ten wins from ten matches, including a 7-4 victory when they met in the 2014 PDC World Championship final.
- Peter Wright enjoyed a more comfortable than expected 6-3 win against Gerwyn Price in the semi-finals. Wright was too consistent for an out-of-sorts Price who showed very little of the form that made him the second favourite coming into the tournament.
- Snakebite was again in top maximum hitting form against Price, and his match total of 16 is his highest ever in a World Championship match and his total at the 2019-20 PDC World Championship is now 57.
- Wright’s 2017 UK Open triumph is his only major tournament victory in his career which will be of some frustration having reached plenty of other finals. His main nemesis in those finals has been Van Gerwen, and the failure to defeat his Dutch rival in those finals may play on his mind – especially as he has missed match darts in two of those encounters.
A contest between Michael van Gerwen and Peter Wright in a major final is certainly not a new occurrence as they have done battle many times since meeting in the 2014 World Championship final. Van Gerwen has a perfect record against Wright in their big stage finals – much to Wright’s frustration as he has proven capable of defeating Van Gerwen in finals on the European Tour which are played in a stage environment.
What makes this encounter all the more intriguing is the form of Michael van Gerwen during this tournament. He has only shown glimpses of his supreme talent and seems to be finding it hard to put together any consistency. Wright has been scoring heavily on the 180s and hitting some excellent combination finishes and if he can manage to produce at the key moments, he certainly has a chance of overcoming the dominant Dutchman.
The fact Wright has come up short against Van Gerwen in the big games so many times – having also missed match darts in two of those games – does make you wonder if he will have the belief to get over the line which leads to some reluctance in tipping him to win. Therefore, the main tips for the match are over 10.5 sets and also Wright +2.5 on the handicap.