2019-20 PDC World Darts Championship – Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen Preview & Prediction
When is Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen taking place? Friday 13th December, 2019 – evening
Where is Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen taking place? Alexandra Palace, London
What channel is Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen on? Sky Sports Darts
Where can I stream Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Michael van Gerwen vs Jelle Klaasen? https://www.pdc.tv/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Michael van Gerwen beat Jelle Klaasen 6-1
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN
- Reigning PDC world champion Van Gerwen will begin his quest for a fourth world title and goes to Ally Pally as the tournament favourite.
- Van Gerwen's preparation has been typically strong with the Dutchman having lifted the Players Championship Finals trophy in November where he beat Gerwyn Price in the final, an opponent who many see as the biggest threat to MVG defending his title here.
- A slight monkey hanging over the back of Van Gerwen is the fact he has never successfully defended the world title and given the fact he has generally dominated the game over the past few years, this deficiency will be a source of great motivation for him.
- Jelle Klaasen overcame the challenge of Kevin Burness earlier in the evening and now faces a huge step up in class in the form of compatriot Van Gerwen.
- Klaasen has lost his last 12 matches against Van Gerwen although he has not faced the world number one since September 2017 so there are no recent mental scars to speak of.
- It is no secret that there is bad blood between these two Dutchman and that has seemed to have affected Klaasen's game when they have met in the past, far more than it has Van Gerwen's.
Three-time world champion Van Gerwen will naturally go into this as a big favourite given his form and pedigree. Early tournament jitters are common at Alexandra Palace however, so it would not be surprising to see him drop a set before showing his class and progressing to the third round. Klaasen's career has been on a downward in recent times and it is unlikely that he will be able to sustain a high level for long enough to cause a huge upset here, with MVG set to march into the third round.