2019-20 PDC World Darts Championship – Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock Preview & Prediction
When is Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Saturday 28st December, 2019 – evening
Where is Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock taking place? Alexandra Palace, London
What channel is Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock on? Sky Sports Darts
Where can I stream Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Gerwyn Price vs Simon Whitlock? https://www.pdc.tv/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Gerwyn Price beat Simon Whitlock 6-5
- Gerwyn Price posted an average of 104 in a 4-0 victory against John Henderson to reach the last 16 at the PDC World Championship for only the second time in his career.
- The 4-0 scoreline does not tell the full story of the match as after two sets Price was averaging 115 compared to Henderson’s 107. The standard did dip thereafter but Price’s overall performance was very noteworthy.
- The only other time Price has reached this round at the PDC World Championship was two years ago when he lost 4-1 to Michael van Gerwen.
- Simon Whitlock recovered from losing the opening five legs of the match against Mervyn King to turn the game round and win 4-1 in a scrappy encounter where both players averaged under 91.
- The 4-1 win was closer than the score suggests with King not only blowing a 2-0 lead in the second set but also missing two set darts to wins sets three and five.
- Whitlock’s win against King put him into the last 16 at the PDC World Championship for the first time since the 2013-14 tournament. He had previously reached the last 16 in each of his first 11 World Championship appearances.
Previous meetings between these two players have been close with three of their last four encounters going all the way into a deciding leg – the most notable of those being the quarter-finals at the 2018 Grand Slam of Darts when Price won a feisty encounter. Price is playing as well as he ever has right now and so those past meetings may not matter so much when looking at this match. The Welshman looks highly focussed and with Whitlock lacking the leg-on-leg consistency to match his opponent, a 4-2 victory is the prediction.