Vitality t20 Blast 2019 – Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles Preview & Prediction
When is Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles taking place? Saturday 21st September, 14:30 (UK)
Where is Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles taking place? Edgbaston, Birmingham
What is the expected weather for Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles? 23c and sunshine forecast all day
What television channel is Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles on? Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I stream Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles? Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Derbyshire Falcons vs Essex Eagles? Tickets can still be purchased for the T20 Blast Finals Day here!
All-time meetings: Derbyshire Falcons W0, Essex Eagles W0
Last meeting: N/A
THE TEAM NEWS
- Derbyshire Falcons have flown under the radar somewhat as one of the less fashionable teams in the T20 Blast but they have plenty of momentum coming into this semi-final as they won their last four matches to reach Finals Day and are looking extremely strong right now.
- They have not relied on any superstars to get them to this stage but their batting has been a real team effort with Godleman, Madsen, Du Plooy and Reece combining to hit 14 fifties between them and that quartet have been ever-present for them throughout the T20 Blast.
- The bowling department has been spearheaded by Ravi Rampaul who is the leading wicket-taker in the entire competition with 22 wickets so far and they will need the likes of Critchley and Hudson-Prentice to support him if they are to get through to the final but they are boosted by the fact they have all their regulars available for Finals Day.
- Essex Eagles are arguably the form team coming into Finals Day as they won four and tied one of their last five games to scrape into the final place in the South Group to qualify for the knockout phase, and then they beat Lancashire Lightning in the quarters who were arguably the best side in the group phase.
- Their batting has been their undoubted strength in this season’s T20 Blast and they possess the greater firepower and depth with the likes of Ten Doeschate and Bopara coming in at five and six, while they have the edge in power hitting too.
- The bowling has been their weakness however especially since Mohammad Amir departed, although they have been vulnerable all season and the reliance on Adam Zampa to produce the goods will be significant against the Falcons.
Very few people genuinely expected either of these two teams to reach Finals Day but they both ended the season in strong form. Derbyshire Falcons have gone under the radar and that is largely because they have kept a settled side and not brought in any big-name overseas players. They will be motivated to spring yet another upset as they face an Essex Eagles’ side that come in with plenty of form and momentum themselves. The Eagles have the greater firepower and depth with the bat but their bowling unit is weaker. There is very little to pick between these two teams, but Essex’s big name players should rise to the occasion and edge this match.