Vitality t20 Blast 2019 – Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids Preview & Prediction
When is Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids taking place? Friday 23rd August, 19:00 (UK)
Where is Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids taking place? Edgbaston, Birmingham
What is the expected weather for Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids? 23c with light cloud and a gentle breeze
What television channel is Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids on? Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids will be shown live on Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I stream Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Birmingham Bears vs Worcestershire Rapids? Check https://www.ecb.co.uk/T20-Blast for updates about tickets
All-time meetings: Birmingham Bears W15, Worcestershire Rapids W13, No result 3
Last meeting: No result
THE TEAM NEWS
- Birmingham Bears have won only one of their last seven Vitality Blast matches, with their most recent match against Lancashire Lightning rained off leaving them adrift in 7th place in the South Group.
- Lancashire were also the opponents in the Bears’ last game not to fall foul of the weather, beating the Red Rose by 15 runs at Edgbaston and Birmingham will hope to take that momentum into this must-win game.
- On-loan fast bowler Fidel Edwards has found some form in red ball cricket, taking a five-wicket haul in their County Championship match against Surrey and he will hope to transfer that form into this game, having failed to take a wicket in his last three white-ball outings for Birmingham.
- Worcestershire’s last Vitality Blast game saw them defeat Durham by three runs in a thrilling match at Emirates Riverside, with the visitors restricting the Jets to 114/6, chasing a target of 117 runs.
- With overseas batsman Martyn Guptill out for a duck and a below-par total on the board, it was a showcase for the Rapids’ bowling attack with the likes of Pat Brown, Wayne Parnell and Daryl Mitchell proving that they are more than just a bat-heavy side, and each bowler will hope to do the same again in this match.
- New Zealander Hamish Rutherford will return to the county as an overseas player and will be available for selection in this match as a replacement for Callum Ferguson, who is returning home to Australia for personal reasons.
The Norman Gifford trophy will be up for grabs as Birmingham Bears face Worcestershire Rapids in what is sure to be a fierce local derby. A packed crowd at Edgbaston is expected as the visitors return to the ground where they were crowned the 2018 Vitality Blast winners at Finals Day last September.
Both teams desperately need the points, with two points separating Birmingham from the top four of the North Group and two points keeping Worcestershire in the top four. Home advantage in a tight derby match could be key and following victory against top-of-the-table Lancashire last Sunday, Birmingham Bears look to have finally hit their stride and might just pip the defending champions in what should be a very close contest.