2019-20 Super Smash – Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds Preview & Prediction
When is Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds taking place? Wednesday 18th December, 2019 – 03:10 (UK)
Where is Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds taking place? Basin Reserve, Wellington
What is the expected weather for Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds? 12c with rain forecast to affect play
What channel is Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds? This match cannot be streamed live in the UK
Where can I get tickets for Central Stags vs Wellington Firebirds? Ticket details for this match can be found here!
THE TEAM NEWS
- Central Stags kicked off their Super Smash campaign with an outstanding victory in the opening game of this year’s tournament as they walloped 221/5 and then bowled Northern Knights out for just 101 to register their biggest win in the tournament’s history and the third biggest in the tournament overall.
- They welcome back pace bowler Blair Tickner who has recovered from a side strain and he has been added to the 12-man squad that they named for the big win on Friday. He adds yet more quality to the team if deemed fit enough to play.
- They had five batsmen on Friday that hit 30 or more and they tallied 17 sixes in that incredible total, so they will look for more of the same here with what should be an unchanged line-up barring the likely inclusion of Tickner.
- The Wellington Firebirds got off to a winning start themselves in their opening match as their bowlers skittled Canterbury Kings out for just 129, and their batsmen chased the modest total down with relative ease.
- All the focus has been on legendary spinner Jeetan Patel who will make his final appearance for the Firebirds as the 39-year-old brings an end to a career in Wellington before he joins up with the England squad in the role of spin bowling consultant for their tour of South Africa.
- Patel and Jimmy Neesham shared five wickets in the opening win over Canterbury and they will be key to their hopes here once again if they are to get a result against this in-form Central Stags’ batting line-up.
There will be plenty of focus on Jeetan Patel in what is his final game but this will be a tough test for his Wellington Firebirds’ team against the in-form Central Stags. The Stags batting line-up was in blistering form in their opening game and the very fact that so many of them contributed to the total of 221 will give them confidence. The Firebirds have a quality bowling attack however and they can make this a really competitive game. That said, the weather is likely to intervene and if this is a reduced-overs match, the big-hitting Stags have to be favoured.