2019 Mzansi Super League – Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars Preview & Prediction
When is Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars taking place? Thursday 5th December, 2019 – 15:30 (UK)
Where is Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars taking place? SuperSport Park, Centurion
What is the expected weather for Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars? 21c with rain expected to seriously affect play
What television channel is Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars on in the UK? The match will be shown live on BT Sport/ESPN HD (Sky channel 423)
Where can I stream Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars in the UK? The match can be streamed live on the BT Sport app
Where can I get tickets for Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars? Visit the official MSL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Tshwane Spartans beat Jozi Stars by 20 runs
THE TEAM NEWS
- Tshwane Spartans have lost their last two matches against Cape Town Blitz and Nelson Mandela Bay Giants and while they still sit in the third and final play-off place, they have the Blitz and Durban Heat hot on their heels.
- The defeat to the Bay Giants on Tuesday was particularly concerning as they could not defend their impressive total of 188/5 when batting first and that was largely down to the fact that their fielding was abysmal as they dropped multiple catches including three times against Ben Dunk who went on to hit an unbeaten 99 and win the game.
- Aside from their fielding, their bowling also needs to improve as the likes of Corbyn Bosch, Tom Curran and Waqar Salamkheil are all proving expensive of late and those two areas need to match the quality of their batting if they are to get back to winning ways at this crunch time of the tournament.
- Jozi Stars came close to picking up a win on Sunday as they looked favourites to beat Paarl Rocks on Sunday when they restricted them to 53/4 chasing a target of 172, but they let the Rocks off the hook and suffered their seventh defeat in seven matches in MSL 2019.
- With nothing but pride to play for in their remaining three matches, the Stars will be desperate to avoid going the entire group phase without a single victory and they showed enough in the game against the Rocks to suggest they are playing with good motivation still.
- Shoaib Malik came in on Sunday and hit a lively 20 from just eight balls to suggest he will be a valuable inclusion in the side along with his part-time bowling but they still need more of their players to step up and put in a strong team performance rather than a couple of individuals as has been the case in so many games this season.
Jozi Stars have an unwanted 100% losing record that they will be desperate to shed in their remaining three games of the MSL campaign but this is a tough assignment for them. Not enough of their key players are producing the goods, especially with the ball, and it is difficult to see them winning any of their matches right now unless their opponents underestimate them. Tshwane Spartans have lost their last two games and are under some pressure now with this arguably being a must-win game for them. They will not want to leave it to their final match so winning here is key, and they are unlikely to make the same dreadful mistakes in the field. With their batting in excellent form, they should have too much firepower against the struggling Stars.