When is South Africa vs England taking place? Friday, January 3rd (8:30am UK time)
Where is South Africa vs England taking place? Newlands, Cape Town
What is the expected weather for South Africa vs England? 23c with sunshine and cloudy intervals but no rain forecast
What channel is South Africa vs England on? South Africa vs England will be televised live on Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I stream South Africa vs England? South Africa vs England will be streamed live on Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I get tickets for South Africa vs England? Ticket details for this match can be found here!
South Africa beat England by 107 runs
THE TEAM NEWS
- South Africa got this Test series off to a fantastic start by snapping their five-match losing streak in this format of the game by beating the tourists by 107 runs after Joe Root had won the toss and put them in to bat.
- The only real negative from the opening Test at Centurion was the injury to opener Aiden Markram who has now been ruled out for the rest of the series so that will mean a Test debut for 30-year-old Pieter Malan who looks set to be handed the opportunity.
- That will likely be the only change to the team that won at Centurion as the bowling attack is pretty settled after that outstanding performance, while they will still be hoping for improvement in the top order batting with Dean Elgar, Faf du Plessis and Zubayr Hamza needing to score more runs.
- Everything went against England in the opening Test in Centurion with the virus ravaging the squad causing all kinds of mayhem, but Joe Root did not help himself nor his team by deciding to bowl first on that pitch.
- They are boosted by the return to fitness of several players including Ollie Pope, who was deemed not well enough to start that game, so he could well return to the middle order at the expense of out-of-form Jonny Bairstow, whose struggles in this format of the game continue.
- Jofra Archer is considered a doubt to play here due to an elbow problem so that may convince the England selectors to make the change and bring a spinner into the side with Dom Bess in pole position to come in ahead of Jack Leach or Matt Parkinson.
Several key factors went against England in the opening Test but with all their players fit again from the virus which swept the camp, they will be hoping for a much-improved performance here. South Africa deservedly won the opening Test but there were still plenty of weaknesses in their game and another change to their opening batting duo will not help them. Neither batting line-up is strong enough to bat for long spells so the draw is highly unlikely, but it is reasonable to expect a much improved display from England here now the illness has gone. They can bounce back with a win here to level the series.