When is Bangladesh vs Afghanistan taking place? Thursday, September 5th (05:00 UK time)
Where is Bangladesh vs Afghanistan taking place? Chattogram
What is the expected weather for Bangladesh vs Afghanistan? Rain is forecast for all five days
What channel is Bangladesh vs Afghanistan on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Bangladesh vs Afghanistan? This match will not be streamed live in the UK
Where can I get tickets for Bangladesh vs Afghanistan? Tickets can be purchased directly from the stadium for this game
THE TEAM NEWS
- Bangladesh return home for this one-off Test match against Afghanistan and they will hope for improvement after suffering two innings’ defeats in New Zealand in their last Test series in February and March earlier this year.
- Star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan was rested for the recent ODI series with Sri Lanka but he comes back into the fold for this match and that is a massive boost but they are without Tamim Iqbal so they will hope their other experienced batsmen like Mushfiqur Rahim, Liton Das and Mahmudullah can step up.
- Mustafizur Rahman is another playing missing out here but Abu Jayed is likely to be their only pace bowler with the other four all being spin options as the pitch will almost certainly heavily favour the slow bowlers.
- Afghanistan start a new era with Rashid Khan captaining the side and they will be keen to pick up another Test win in what is only their third ever Test match following a defeat to India and a win against Ireland back in March.
- With Rashid skippering the side, they will take heed from Bangladesh’s likely team selection here and go with four spinners themselves including star all-rounder Mohammad Nabi who will be key for them here.
- They have retained some of their older experience heads like Nabi and former skipper Asghar Afghan, but they have left out others like Mohammad Shahzad and their likely team will see three changes from the side that beat Ireland earlier this year.
This promises to be a hugely competitive match between these two sides and Afghanistan will see this as another golden opportunity to get a positive result against a local rival. Bangladesh naturally have the edge in terms of experience and their greater batting strength could make the difference. Rashid Khan has even more pressure on his young shoulders now as Afghan captain but he has so far looked less effective in red ball cricket in comparison to his threat in T20s. Both he and Nabi are going to have to be at their very best if they are to compete here while their batsmen need to produce. That has typically been their weakness in the longer formats of the game and why the home side have to be favoured if a result can occur amid the rainy forecast.