Bangladesh vs New Zealand – 1st T20 International Preview & Prediction
When is Bangladesh vs New Zealand taking place? Wednesday, September 1st, 2021 – 11:00 (UK)
Where is Bangladesh vs New Zealand taking place? Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Mirpur
What is the expected weather for Bangladesh vs New Zealand? 31-33c with sunny intervals and light winds.
What channel is Bangladesh vs New Zealand on? The match will not be televised in the UK.
Where can I stream Bangladesh vs New Zealand? This match cannot be streamed in the UK.
New Zealand beat Bangladesh by 65 runs.
THE TEAM NEWS
- Bangladesh made history on their own turf last time they entertained international opposition, beating Australia 4-1 in a five-match T20i series and will be hoping for similar success against a weakened New Zealand side.
- After not featuring against the Aussies, both wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim and top order batter Liton Das have both been named in the Bangladesh squad with leg-spin bowler Aminul Islam also called up.
- All-rounder Mahmudullah captains the side and no doubt his experience, alongside that of all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan will be crucial if the Tigers are to be successful against the Black Caps.
- New Zealand will be under the stewardship of stand-in coach Glenn Pocknall for this five-match T20i series with the Black Caps hoping to replicate their performances against the Tigers back in New Zealand earlier in the year, when they swept Bangladesh in a three-game series.
- After testing positive for Covid-19, opening batter Finn Allen is in quarantine and bowler Matt Henry has been called up as cover, whilst another fast bowler in Ben Sears has received a maiden international call-up.
- Batter Tom Latham will captain the side in the absence of Kane Williamson, who has not been named in the squad due to his IPL commitments, which has also ruled out players such as Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson and Kyle Jamieson.
Bangladesh made the best use of extremely challenging batting conditions in Mirpur when they comprehensively defeated Australia and the New Zealand top order will need to be prepared to deal with pitches that are likely to give heavy assistance to spin-bowlers. The worry for the tourists is that without a number of their big-name players, it leaves them with a side inexperienced in these difficult conditions with their batting further hampered by the absence of Allen due to Covid. Bangladesh, with plenty of experience and momentum behind them should be in a position to capitalise and are expected to come out on top in the first match of this T20i series.