When is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Sunday 8th March, 2020 – 08:30 (UK)
Where is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Greater Noida Sports Complex Ground, Greater Noida, India
What is the expected weather for Afghanistan vs Ireland? 23c in sunny skies
What channel is Afghanistan vs Ireland on? Afghanistan vs Ireland will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Afghanistan vs Ireland? Afghanistan vs Ireland cannot be streamed in the UK
Where can I get tickets for Afghanistan vs Ireland? Ticket for this match can be purchased from the stadium!
Afghanistan beat Ireland by 11 runs (D/L method)
THE TEAM NEWS
- Afghanistan did just enough as they took the lead in the three-match T20I series against Ireland as they secured a narrow victory by the D/L method in a rain-affected opening contest on Indian soil.
- Rashid Khan impressed with the ball as he took 3-22 but Ireland were still able to make 172/6 with 18-year-old Mujeeb Ur Rahman needing to reduce his economy rate if he keeps his place after he went for over 12 per over.
- In reply, Afghanistan did a solid enough job but several of their batsmen will be frustrated to have made a decent start before being removed with Najibullah Zadran’s knock of 42* from 21 proving decisive as they got themselves ahead of the DLS score when the covers came on.
- Ireland will be content with their efforts in the first T20I of the series with Afghanistan but know they will have to improve further after suffering defeat in that match, although they will argue that the rain harmed their chances of claiming the victory.
- Paul Stirling and Kevin O’Brien combined to good effect with a 63-run opening stand before Stirling reached his half-century to leave Ireland in a good position as they were able to total 172/6 from their 20 overs.
- Ireland appeared to be doing well with the ball but Afghanistan were ahead of the DLS score when the teams were forced off after 15 overs and that condemned the Irish to defeat but they are unlikely to make many changes for this second contest.
Afghanistan and Ireland played out a competitive opening T20I match of the series but the game was cut short because of rain. That prevented what would have been an exciting finish to the game with it hanging firmly in the balance with just five overs of the Afghanistan innings remaining at that point. Ireland will take heart from their first performance and whilst both teams have room for improvement, a better forecast should allow a full match to take place here with the Irish able to make amends for the first game.