2019-20 Big Bash League – Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars Preview & Prediction
When is Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Thursday 2nd January, 2020 – 04:40 (UK)
Where is Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Sydney Showground Stadium, Sydney
What is the expected weather for Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars? 21c with cloud but no rain forecast
What television channel is Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Stars? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Melbourne Stars beat Sydney Thunder by 8 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
- Sydney Thunder got back to winning ways last time out as they inflicted the first defeat of BBL|09 on the Adelaide Strikers as after posting 168/5 when batting first, they managed to hold the Strikers and Rashid Khan’s late heroics off to win by three runs.
- Skipper Callum Ferguson was the key man yet again as he hit his third half century in five innings and that has seen him become this edition’s top runscorer so far, but aside from Usman Khawaja’s 63, the middle order remains a question mark if the top three do not perform.
- Chris Morris did not pick up the best of bowling figures but he did bowl well in the death overs to help them to victory so they will hope for more of the same from him and an improvement with bat and ball from all-rounder Daniel Sams who has been far from his best in the tournament so far as the Thunder will likely name an unchanged side.
- Melbourne Stars picked up their third win in four matches last time out as they beat Hobart Hurricanes in a rain-affected stop-start match as the various interruptions worked favourably to their advantage after the Hurricanes lost a couple of early wickets when batting first.
- He may be the lowest profile bowler of their impressive bowling attack, but Daniel Worrall was handed three of the eleven overs that were bowled and his was the most economical of the start-studded quintet as they showed once again that they do boast the best bowling unit in BBL|09.
- After yet another strong all-round performance, the likelihood is that they name an unchanged side for this clash with the Thunder though they will be hoping for Nic Maddinson to find some form and consistency with the bat after being out for 1 and 2 in his last two innings.
This promises to be a highly entertaining match between two in-form teams as the Thunder welcome the Stars. The matchup between Sydney’s star-studded top three batsmen – Khawaja, Hales and Ferguson – against the Stars superb bowling unit of Steyn, Coulter-Nile, Zampa and Lamichhane, promises to be explosive and whichever unit gets the better of that contest will likely decide the match. The Stars have the greater all-round quality and have the bit between their teeth after being runners-up last year, and they can pick up the win in what should be a close-fought contest.