2019-20 Big Bash League – Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars Preview & Prediction
When is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Monday 20th January, 2020 – 07:40 (UK)
Where is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
What is the expected weather for Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars? 23c with a 50% chance of showers
What television channel is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Melbourne Stars beat Sydney Sixers by 44 runs
THE TEAM NEWS
- Sydney Sixers have lost two and had one no result in their last three matches as they have dropped to third in the ladder and they will be keen to reverse this trend and get back to winning ways against the leaders here.
- Their batting let them down badly last time out in the Sydney Smash against the Thunder as they found themselves 26/6 and could only muster a paltry 76 all out in a 16-over rain-reduced match so they will know they have to improve massively against the in-form Stars.
- It is the same group of 13 players that has been called up for this penultimate home match so changes appear unlikely although they will be able to count upon Steve Smith and Josh Hazlewood for their final home match following this one.
- Melbourne Stars have continued their stunning form in the group phase and are coming off a 10-run win over Perth Scorchers on Saturday which was their 10th win from their 11 matches played so far and that win sealed a home qualifier match in the knockout phase.
- They looked likely to lose that game when the Scorchers were 94/3 in the 15th over but the decision by Glenn Maxwell to bring Nic Maddinson into the attack with his part-time spin proved inspired as he took 3/24 from his four overs to win the game for the Stars.
- With qualification and a home match confirmed, the Stars have decided to rest Nathan Coulter-Nile once again for this game as he has suffered from various injuries in recent times to Jackson Coleman comes into the squad and he will likely play.
The Stars have unquestionably been the best team in BBL|09 so far but there are signs of them easing off the gas a little in recent games. They have a home play-off match wrapped up already and that has encouraged them to rest Coulter-Nile here while they also just have the one overseas player available. That could hand an opportunity to the Sixers although their form is poor right now. They have not won any of their last three matches and their batting especially is a concern. It is difficult to go against the Stars right now in this form but the Sixers could spring the surprise if they are not completely focused.