2019-20 Big Bash League – Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers Preview & Prediction
When is Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers taking place? Friday 31st January, 2020 – 08:15 (UK)
Where is Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers taking place? Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
What is the expected weather for Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers? 34c in mostly cloudy skies but there is a small chance of rain
What television channel is Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Sydney Sixers beat Melbourne Stars by 21 runs (D/L method)
THE TEAM NEWS
- Melbourne Stars topped the ladder during the round robin stage of BBL|09 but ended that stage in poor form as they lost their final three matches with a heavy loss against Brisbane Heat in their last outing.
- Adam Zampa and Sandeep Lamichhane were the only two to do any damage with the ball as the Heat were able to post 186/5 but a batting collapse in the resulting chase saw the Stars fall to a 71-run loss.
- If their form was not worrying enough, the Stars have suffered two huge blows with Hilton Cartwright ruled out for the remainder of the tournament with a fractured hand whilst Lamichhane has been called-up for international duty with Nepal although those blows are negated somewhat by the return of their leading wicket-taker Haris Rauf.
- Sydney Sixers won their final game of the round robin to make it three victories in a row and with Adelaide Strikers losing their final game, the Sixers were able to claim second place on the ladder which secured them a second chance in the tournament if they lose this contest.
- Aaron Finch had threatened to take the game away from the Sixers when the Melbourne Renegades opener notched a quick-fire century but he was offered little support as they made 175/5.
- Steve Smith continued his impressive form with an unbeaten 66 and with Josh Philippe also notching a half-century, that pair were able to guide their side to the all-important victory and the Sixers can now call upon their all-time leading wicket-taker in Sean Abbott who has recovered from an injury to take the place of Tom Curran who has departed for England's squad for their white ball games against South Africa.
These two teams come into this game in contrasting form and that could prove to be important. Melbourne Stars were the best side in the round robin but lost their last three matches whilst Sydney Sixers won their last three matches to finish just one point behind. The Sixers have all of the momentum behind them, more players in form and with the Stars having to deal with the loss of two of their best players of BBL|09, the Sixers should be able to take advantage and progress to the final.