2019-20 Big Bash League Final – Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars Preview & Prediction
When is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Saturday 8th February, 2020 – 08:15 (UK)
Where is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars taking place? Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
What is the expected weather for Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars? 21c but rain and heavy winds could impact play
What television channel is Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Sydney Sixers beat Melbourne Stars by 43 runs
THE TEAM NEWS
- Sydney Sixers were too good for Melbourne Stars as they earned the right to host the BBL|09 final and they will now come up against the same opposition in this game as they go in search of their first title since winning BBL|01.
- The Sixers did not excel with the bat but their top-order managed to score enough runs to post 142/7 and that proved to be plenty as their bowling unit were able to skittle the Stars for 99.
- Sean Abbott’s contribution was key on his return from injury as he took three wickets and the Sixers are unlikely to change the side that overcame the Stars to make it into the final having named an unchanged squad.
- Melbourne Stars snapped their losing streak as they did a solid job to see off Sydney Thunder and progress to the final where they will hope to win their first Big Bash League title having lost in their last two attempts when reaching the final.
- Last year’s runners-up were on a four-match run without a win as they came up against the Thunder in the challenger contest but Marcus Stoinis and Nick Larkin both struck 83, with the latter ending unbeaten.
- That resulted
in the Stars making 194/2 and the early dismissal of in-form Alex Hales
was crucial as they held off the Thunder’s reply to win by 28 runs and Stoinis’ contribution is set to be key in the final in what is likely to be an unchanged line-up although they have slightly tweaked their 13-man sqaud with Jonathan Merlo coming into the squad in place of Dilbar Hussain with the latter not featuring against the Thunder in the last game.
The teams that finished first and second on the ladder during the round robin stage will face-off for the right to be crowned winners of BBL|09. There are big worries surrounding the weather heading into the final with heavy rain and winds expected throughout the day leading up to the game and it is not expected to subside come the off which could cause a washout. If that is the case, the Sixers would lift the title as hosts but that is likely to be the case anyway with them proving too good the last time the teams last met and their top-order possesses too much strength in depth for the Stars, whose wait for a maiden title looks set to continue.