2020 MLB – Washington Nationals @ New York Mets Preview & Prediction
When is Washington Nationals @ New York Mets taking place? Thursday 26th March, 2020 – 18:10 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ New York Mets taking place? Citi Field
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ New York Mets? Partly cloudy, 9c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ New York Mets on? BT Sport 1 showcases MLB games in the UK so it would be useful to check their schedule
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ New York Mets? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv (subscription required) in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ New York Mets? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Washington Nationals 4 – 8 New York Mets
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals made history last season by clinching the first World Series title for the franchise following an unforgettable playoff run where they dispatched the Houston Astros in a thrilling seven-game series. They ended the regular season with a 93-69 record.
- Expectations should be quite high for the Nationals in 2020, although experts believe they shouldn’t be considered as title favourites. They still look like a squad capable of reaching the playoffs, but their expectation would be to challenge for a Wild Card spot.
- Arguably, the franchise’s biggest loss was the departure of Anthony Rendon who signed with the Los Angeles Angels, although they extended the contract of star pitcher Stephen Strasburg. Strasburg, Max Scherzer and Juan Soto should be the players to watch for the Nats in 2020.
NEW YORK METS
- The Mets showed progress during the second half of the season following the midseason acquisition of Marcus Stroman, but that wasn’t enough to power them towards the playoffs. They ended in third place of the NL East with an 86-76 record, just 3.0 games back of a Wild Card berth.
- Expectations for this season under first-time manager Luis Rojas shouldn’t differ much from what they did in 2019. They will undoubtedly try to compete for a Wild Card berth, although they are not likely to be in the race for the NL East title since they are still some way off the Atlanta Braves and the Nationals.
- The Mets did not make great strides during the free agency period and it’s clear their strength once again will lie on the rotation – Noah Syndergaard, Marcus Stroman, and Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom will carry the team from the mound. Meanwhile, most of offense should fall on Pete Alonso’s shoulder, as the first baseman belted 53 home runs in 2019.
At least on paper, the Nationals have the edge since they should trot Max Scherzer to the mound, and the veteran pitcher posted a stellar 2.92 ERA in 172.1 innings tossed during 2019. Even though Jacob deGrom bested him in that department, with 2.43 ERA in 204.0 IP, the Nationals have a stronger offense despite the offseason loss of Anthony Rendon. Washington should be able to win here, as they can kick off their title defence campaign with a victory on the road.