2020 MLB – New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles Preview & Prediction
When is New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles taking place? Thursday 26th March, 2020 – 20:05 (UK)
Where is New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles taking place? Oriole Park at Camden Yards
What is the expected weather for New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles? Thunderstorms, 17c
What television channel is New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles on? BT Sport 1 showcases MLB games in the UK so it would be useful to check their schedule
Where can I stream New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for New York Yankees @ Baltimore Orioles? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? New York Yankees 6 – 5 Baltimore Orioles
THE TEAM NEWS
NEW YORK YANKEES
- The Yankees posted their second straight 100-win regular season and reached the ALCS where they lost to the Houston Astros. The Bronx franchise ended 2019 with a 103-59 record and only the Astros posted a higher win total in the American League.
- After registering back-to-back trips to the ALCS in 2018 and 2019, the Yankees’ focus is quite clear heading into 2020. They are a bonafide World Series contender and anything less than that outcome should be considered a major disappointment for Aaron Boone and his coaching staff.
- New York lost C.C. Sabathia and Dellin Betances in free agency but they made a major splash when acquiring Gerrit Cole, and they also extended Aroldis Chapman’s deal. The addition of Cole should transform the Yankees’ rotation into one of the best in the league. They already had a dominant offense led by Aaron Judge, Gleyber Torres and Gary Sanchez.
- The Orioles are in the midst of what’s going to be a long rebuilding period, and they ended the 2019 season with a 54-108 record – good for last place in the AL East. Only the Detroit Tigers won fewer games than Baltimore in 2019.
- Things are not expected to change for the Orioles in 2020. Some of their prized prospects are not slated to reach the Majors in 2020 and, to make things even more complicated, they have a serious lack of talent at the MLB level. Their best best would be to lose as many games as possible and to flip veterans at the Deadline to exchange them for prospects. Their goal for 2020 is to accumulate as many assets as they can.
- Baltimore did not add many noteworthy players during the offseason and most of their signings were cheap one-year deals. Perhaps their biggest business was to part ways with Jonathan Villar, who ended with 24 home runs and 40 stolen bases in 2019, and pitcher Dylan Bundy. Their biggest offseason signing was shortstop Jose Iglesias.
There’s an absolute gulf of difference between these two teams when it comes to quality and talent at the MLB level. The Yankees are one of the best teams in the American League and should be treated as a World Series contender, while the Orioles are nowhere near contending and would probably welcome a loss to begin the year since they will look to earn another high pick for the 2021 MLB Draft. Plus, the Yankees went 17-2 against the Orioles in 2019, including 16 straight wins.