2019 MLB – Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals Preview & Prediction
When is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Tuesday 17th September, 2019 – 00:45 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Busch Stadium
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? Mostly sunny, 30c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / MASN, Fox Sports Midwest, MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / Fox Sports GO, MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Washington Nationals 2 – 1 St. Louis Cardinals
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals continue leading the National League Wild Card race, as they have gone 3-2 in their last five games despite dropping two out of three against the Atlanta Braves last weekend. However, they are 4-6 in their last 10 games.
- First baseman Matt Adams is day-to-day, while Koda Glover and Kurt Suzuki could return later this week. Joe Ross and Roenis Elias are expected to return just before the end of the regular season as well. One player to watch here is NL MVP candidate Anthony Rendon, who currently leads the MLB on RBI with 118, while also posting a 1.041 OPS in 2019.
- Stephen Strasburg gets the start here for the Nationals, and he has been one of the top pitchers in the National League during 2019. He is 17-6 with a 3.49 ERA and 229 strikeouts in 2019, while ranking in the Top 5 in the NL in both wins and innings pitched.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
- The Cardinals lost two of three against the Milwaukee Brewers this past weekend, and they are 2-3 in their last five games. They are 5-5 in their last 10 MLB outings, however, and remain in control of their destiny since they lead the NL Central over the Chicago Cubs and the Brewers.
- Carlos Martinez, Brett Cecil and Matt Wieters are all dealing with injury and while none is expected to be back on Monday, all three could return to action during the week. Dexter Fowler has been on fire for the Cardinals of late, hitting for .353 with a 1.266 OPS in his last six games.
- Dakota Hudson will get the start for the Cardinals ahead of this game. The 24-year-old righty is 15-7 with a 3.38 ERA, a 1.41 WHIP, and 123 strikeouts in 159.2 innings pitched across 30 games (29 starts). He is 5-1 with a 1.70 ERA in his last seven starts, however.
This matchup could easily happen again during the postseason and if we look at the recent form, neither team has been particularly impressive. The Nationals have the advantage in the pitching department since Strasburg has been one of the best arms in the MLB this season. That should put the Nationals as favourites ahead of this contest.