2019 MLB – Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers Preview & Prediction
When is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers taking place? Thursday 10th October, 2019 – 01:37 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers taking place? Dodger Stadium
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? Sunny, 21c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / TBS in the US
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Los Angeles Dodgers 1 – 6 Washington Nationals
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals had their backs against the wall in Game 4 since they were down 2-1 in the series but once again their pitching staff saved them from elimination. Max Scherzer struck out seven batters across seven innings, and the Nats secured a 6-1 win to even the series two wins apiece. Washington scored a series-high six runs, while the 10 hits tied the team’s highest mark during the NLDS.
- Roenis Elias remains out for the Nationals although he might be available to play in the NLCS if they advance, while Victor Robles has been listed as day-to-day with a hamstring injury despite not playing in Game 4. Trea Turner had three hits on Monday and is hitting .353 during the series, while Anthony Rendon had three RBI and is hitting for .333 in the last four games.
- The Nationals have tabbed Stephen Strasburg as their starter for Game 5 after he was rested for Game 4. The right-hander enjoyed an impressive campaign during the 2019 regular season (18-6, 3.32 ERA), he also has a solid playoff resume with a 0.64 ERA and 38 strikeouts across 28.0 innings in five postseason appearances (four starts). This year alone, the 31-year-old righty has allowed just one run while fanning 14 in nine innings of work.
LOS ANGELES DODGERS
- The Dodgers had a great chance to close things out on the road, but failed to perform according to expectations and only mustered one run against a dominant Nationals pitching staff. Their five hits tied the team’s lowest mark during the NLDS, while the lone run scored was the side’s lowest total in the previous four games against Washington. They will rely on their impressive home form to close things out, as the Dodgers went 59-22 at home during the regular season – the best record in the National League.
- Max Muncy couldn’t record a hit during Game 4, but he has been one of the most consistent hitters for the Dodgers during the NLDS and has a 1.158 OPS thus far in four games.
- Walker Buehler has been listed as the starter for the Dodgers in Game 5, but it has been reported that Clayton Kershaw could piggyback him in case things get rough early. Buehler has not allowed a run in his last 16 2/3 postseason innings, while Kershaw went 16-5 with a 3.03 ERA and a stellar 1.04 WHIP during the 2019 regular season. Both have enough quality to potentially shut down the Nationals’ high-powered offense.
The Nationals have performed far better than expected so far in the series and have made the Dodgers work hard for their two wins, while also looking dominant in their two victories. This could very well be a coin toss given how both teams are matched up – the Nationals have the edge with Strasburg on the mound, but the Dodgers have had the superior offense so far. Home-field advantage might be decisive here and if that’s the case, then the Dodgers have a slight edge towards reaching the NLCS once again.