2019 MLB – Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers Preview & Prediction
When is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers taking place? Saturday 5th October, 2019 – 02:37 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers taking place? Dodger Stadium
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? Clear, 20c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / TBS in the US
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ Los Angeles Dodgers? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Washington Nationals 0 – 6 Los Angeles Dodgers
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals were heavily expected to struggle in Game 1 of the NLDS against the Dodgers since they were going to play a second game in three days while moving from one side of the country to another. That’s exactly what happened in the series opener, as Washington only registered two hits and couldn’t score in Game 1, losing 6-0. That loss ended the nine-game winning run they were carrying since the regular season.
- Juan Soto was one of the few players that produced in Game 1 of the series and he went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts. NL MVP candidate Anthony Rendon went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
- The Nationals have tabbed Stephen Strasburg as their starter for Game 2 following his relief appearance during the NL Wild Card game against the Milwaukee Brewers. Aside from having a great season in 2019 (18-6, 3.32 ERA), he also has a solid playoff resume with a 0.41 ERA and 28 strikeouts across 22.0 innings in four postseason appearances (three starts).
LOS ANGELES DODGERS
- The Dodgers had several days to rest and prepare for this game, and that was noticeable since they dominated Game 1. They have now extended their winning streak to eight games, including the regular season. They have also allowed two or fewer runs in each of their last five outings, as they have looked dominant on both ends so far.
- Alex Verdugo remains out due to injury and he wasn’t included on the NLDS roster since he is only eligible to return from the Injured List on October 11th, while Justin Turner showed his injury concerns are a thing of the past and played all nine innings on Game 1. Max Muncy was the undisputed star for the Dodgers in this game, as he went 2-for-3 with three RBI. He was directly involved in four of the Dodgers’ six runs.
- Clayton Kershaw will be the starter for the Dodgers in Game 2 and while he had a better season than Game 1 starter Walker Buehler, this move was designed so the lefty could be available for a potential Game 5 appearance. Kershaw went 16-5 with a 3.03 ERA and a stellar 1.04 WHIP during the 2019 regular season.
Game 1 played out as expected in the sense that the Dodgers were going to be on top due to logistical issues expected to affect the Nationals. At least on paper, Game 2 seems like a stellar pitching matchup between two of the top hurlers in the National League. The better side from the mound will have the edge here but if we consider recent form, postseason pedigree and experience, the Dodgers should have the edge once again. Expect them to move into an early 2-0 lead in the NLDS, putting the Nationals’ backs against the wall ahead of Game 3.