2019 MLB – Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs Preview & Prediction
When is Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Friday 23rd August, 2019 – 19:00 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Wrigley Field
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs? Sunny, 22c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / MASN, ABC 7 and MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ Chicago Cubs? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Washington Nationals 5 – 6 Chicago Cubs
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals are coming off a comfortable win over the Pittsburgh Pirates last time out they are now 4-1 in their last five games. Washington also sport a solid 8-2 record over their last 10 games as they remain very much alive in the National League Wild Card Race.
- The Nationals have several pitchers injured such as Jeremy Hellickson, Sean Doolittle and Roenis Elias, while first baseman Ryan Zimmerman will be a game-time decision. Keep an eye on Anthony Rendon, who homered Thursday and already has 28 long balls to go along with a healthy .324 batting average in 2019.
- Anibal Sanchez will get the ball for the Nationals in this contest. The veteran right-hander is 7-6 with a 3.99 ERA, 104 strikeouts and a 1.38 WHIP in 121.2 innings pitched (23 starts). He is also 2-0 with a 4.74 ERA in his last seven starts.
- The Cubs are sizzling hot right now and are riding a five-game winning streak after sweeping the past three games against the San Francisco Giants. They are also x-x in their last 10 MLB outings.
- Daniel Descalso and Allen Webster could return later this week. Ben Zobrist and Willson Contreras, however, remain out and will only return to the big-league roster in September. Keep an eye on Anthony Rizzo, who has four home runs, eight RBIs, and a 1.567 OPS over his last seven games.
- Jon Lester will get the start for the Cubs in this game. The veteran lefty is 10-8 with a 4.23 ERA, 132 strikeouts and a 1.42 WHIP in 134 innings pitched (24 starts). However, he has an inflated 5.45 ERA in his last seven starts.
No one can deny the fact that the Nationals have been playing very well over the past few months, but the Cubs are now on a five-game winning streak and own an excellent 44-19 record at home this season. That alone should be enough to have Chicago as favourites ahead of this contest.