2019 MLB – Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics Preview & Prediction
When is Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics taking place? Thursday 3rd October, 2019 – 01:09 (UK)
Where is Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics taking place? O.co Coliseum
What is the expected weather for Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics? Sunny, 22c
What television channel is Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / ESPN in the US
Where can I stream Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / WatchESPN, MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Tampa Bay Rays @ Oakland Athletics? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Tampa Bay Rays 8 – 2 Oakland Athletics
THE TEAM NEWS
TAMPA BAY RAYS
- The Rays ended the regular season on a two-game losing streak, but still posted the fifth-best mark in the American League (96-66). However, they finished the year with a 3-2 mark in their last five games, and a 7-3 record over their last 10 outings.
- The Rays do not have any injury doubts ahead of this game, as most of their injured players have already been ruled out until next year. Their best hitter during the regular season was Austin Meadows, who finished the campaign with 22 home runs, 89 RBI and a .922 OPS.
- AL Cy Young candidate Charlie Morton will get the start for the Rays in this game. The veteran finished the 2019 regular season with the third-best ERA in the American League (3.05) to go along with a 16-6 record and 240 strikeouts in 194.2 innings of work.
- The Athletics lost two of their final three games of the season against the Seattle Mariners, but still had the fourth-best record in the American League (97-65). They ended the season with a 3-2 mark in their last five games, and they went 6-4 over their last 10 outings.
- Just like the Rays, the Athletics do not have fresh injury concerns ahead of this contest, although outfielder Robbie Grossman is questionable due to a shoulder injury. Their lineup was one of the best in the American League since they averaged 5.21 runs per game, and their best hitter was Marcus Semien. The infielder ended the 2019 regular season with 33 home runs, 92 RBI and an .892 OPS.
- The Athletics have not yet announced who will start the AL Wild Card game for them, although the most likely option here would be Sean Manaea. The 27-year-old only made five starts this season but went 4-0 with a 1.21 ERA and a 0.78 WHIP over that span. He hasn’t allowed more than two runs in a game thus far in 2019.
The Athletics have a clear edge when it comes to the offense but, while Manaea has been lights out since his debut this season, the Rays would have the edge in the pitching department with Charlie Morton on the mound. This game could be decided by small details, but the A’s were one of the best teams in MLB at home thanks to a 52-29 record. That should put them as favourites ahead of this Wild Card, do-or-die game.