2019 MLB – St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates Preview & Prediction
When is St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates taking place? Thursday 25th July, 2019 – 17:35 (UK)
Where is St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates taking place? PNC Park
What is the expected weather for St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates? Sunny, 24c
What television channel is St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates on? UK - BT Sport / US - Fox Sports Midwest, ATT SportsNet Pittsburgh, MLB Network (out of market only)
Where can I stream St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates? UK - BT Sport subscribers can stream this match live via their website & app / US - Fox Sports GO, MLB.tv
Where can I get tickets for St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? St. Louis Cardinals 14 – 8 Pittsburgh Penguins
THE TEAM NEWS
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
- The Cardinals are currently on a four-game winning streak and have posted a 4-1 mark in their previous five games. They remain very much alive in the race for the NL Central title, in part because they have gone 8-2 in their last ten games. It seems they’re getting hot right when they need it the most.
- Paul DeJong is coming off a huge game the last time out, when he went 4-for-4 with four runs scored and five RBI, although he’s only hitting for .258 with a .810 OPS in 2019. Paul Goldschmidt went 2-for-5 with two RBI and has two homers in his last three games.
- Miles Mikolas will get the start for the Cardinals in this one. The 30-year-old right-hander has a 6-10 record this season with a 4.17 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP across 114.1 innings (20 starts), but has a 3.51 ERA in his last seven starts so he seems to be trending in the right direction.
- The Pirates are stumbling hard and all signs point towards them becoming sellers ahead of the July 31st Trade Deadline. Pittsburgh are currently riding a four-game losing streak and have gone 1-4 in their last five games but have also gone 2-8 in their last ten contests.
- Starling Marte went 4-for-5 with three RBI the last time out, and he’s been one of the most productive hitters for the Pirates since he has hit for .288 in 2019. Josh Bell is a player to watch as well thanks to his 975 OPS this season.
- Joe Musgrove will get the ball for the Pirates in this game. The 26-year-old right-hander owns a 4.08 ERA, a 1.20 WHIP, a 7-8 record and 98 Ks in 110.1 innings across 21 games (20 starts) in 2019. He has a 3.44 ERA in his previous seven starts.
Aside from the fact that the Cardinals have won their last four games while Pittsburgh have dropped their previous four, it’s also worth noting that St. Louis have won their last four meetings with the Pirates, and also lead the season series 8-4. Given both teams’ recent runs of form, St. Louis have everything in their favour to complete the sweep against a Pirates franchise that keeps moving in the wrong direction of late.