2019 MLB – St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs Preview & Prediction
When is St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Friday 20th September, 2019 – 19:20 (UK)
Where is St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Wrigley Field
What is the expected weather for St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs? Mostly cloudy, 26c
What television channel is St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / Fox Sports Midwest, ABC 7, MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / Fox Sports GO, MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? St. Louis Cardinals 5 – 4 Chicago Cubs
THE TEAM NEWS
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
- The Cardinals continue their surge and are currently leading the NL Central, meaning they are inching closer and closer towards securing a playoff berth. St. Louis are 3-2 in their last five games, but they are “only” 5-5 in their last 10 outings.
- Kolten Wong might be out due to a hamstring issue, while Lance Thomas, Brett Cecil, Tony Cingriani and Jordan Hicks are all out for the season. Paul Goldschmidt is the player to watch for the Cardinals here, as the first baseman leads the franchise in both home runs (31) and RBI (89) this season.
- Michael Wacha will get the start for the Cubs ahead of this game. The veteran righty is 6-7 with a 4.76 ERA, 100 strikeouts and a 1.53 WHIP across 121.0 innings pitched in 27 games (22 starts). He has gone 0-2 with a 2.56 ERA in his last seven starts, however.
- The Cubs couldn’t have chosen a worst time to crumble since they are coming off a loss against the Cardinals on Thursday, and that result has them on a three-game losing streak. They are 2-3 in their last five games, but 5-5 over their last 10.
- Javier Baez, Cole Hamels and Xavier Cedeno remain out for the Cubs, while Brandon Kintzler and Anthony Rizzo are both listed as day-to-day. The first baseman has been instrumental for the Cubs of late, and currently leads the team in both batting average (.289) and RBI (94).
- Alec Mills will get a rare start for the Cubs ahead of this contest. The righty, who is 1-0 with a 3.42 ERA this season, has only made two starts this season but the results were not the best. He allowed five earned runs in 10 1/3 innings pitched.
These two teams are trending in opposite directions and if the season ended today, the Cardinals would win the NL Central title while the Cubs would be out of the playoffs for the first time since 2014. Plus, the Cardinals also have an edge in the pitching department with Wacha over Mills, with those two good reasons enough to list St. Louis as the favourites ahead of this contest.