2019 MLB – San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs Preview & Prediction
When is San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Thursday 22nd August, 2019 – 19:20 (UK)
Where is San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs taking place? Wrigley Field
What is the expected weather for San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs? Mostly sunny, 24c
What television channel is San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / NBC Sports, WGN, MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? San Francisco Giants 11 – 12 Chicago Cubs
THE TEAM NEWS
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
- The Giants have dropped their first two of the series against the Cubs and are also riding a three-game losing streak. They have gone 2-3 in their last five games, but 6-4 in their last 10 but, sadly, that might not be good enough to remain alive on the NL Wild Card Race.
- Pablo Sandoval, Johnny Cueto and Shaun Anderson remain out and are not expected to return until next week at the earliest, while Steven Duggar is out for the season. One player to keep an eye on is Mike Yastrzemski, who has hit for .407 with four home runs, six RBIs and a 1.370 OPS in his last 27 at-bats.
- Veteran Jeff Samardzija will get the start for the Giants and while he has been a top-notch starter since early July (2.09 ERA in his last nine starts), he tends to struggle against the Cubs (0-2, 6.35 ERA). He has gone 9-9 with a 3.54 ERA, 119 strikeouts and a 1.12 WHIP in 139.2 innings pitched (25 starts) in 2019.
- The Cubs are getting hot right when they need it the most, as the past two wins against the Giants have allowed them to assemble a four-game winning streak. They have gone 4-1 in their last two, but previous inconsistencies have them with a poor 5-5 mark over their last 10 MLB outings.
- Xavier Cedeno will be a game-time decision, while Daniel Descalso and Allen Webster could return later this week. Ben Zobrist and Willson Contreras, however, remain out. Nicholas Castellanos has been a stellar addition for the Cubs, as he has hit for .440 with a 1.321 OPS in his last six games, while Anthony Rizzo has four home runs, seven RBIs and a 1.698 OPS over that same span.
- Kyle Hendricks will get the start for the Cubs and aside from allowing just one run in his last start, he has also gone 4-2 with a 1.98 ERA at home in 2019. During the entire season, however, the righty is 8-9 with a 3.37 ERA, 115 strikeouts and a 1.13 WHIP across 136.1 innings pitched (23 starts).
The Cubs enter this game as favourites as not only are they looking to get the sweep against the Giants, they seem to be rolling thanks to their latest winning streak while the Giants are trending in the opposite direction. As if that wasn’t enough, Chicago also have an edge in the pitching thanks to the stellar form of Kyle Hendricks every time he steps on the Wrigley Field mound.