2019 MLB – Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants Preview & Prediction
When is Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants taking place? Saturday 10th August, 2019 – 21:05 (UK)
Where is Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants taking place? Oracle Park
What is the expected weather for Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants? Partly cloudy, 18c
What television channel is Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / NBC Sports and Fox Sports 1 in the US
Where can I stream Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / Fox Sports GO and MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Philadelphia Phillies 9 – 6 San Francisco Giants
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Phillies remain alive on the race for a Wild Card spot in the National League and they have been playing quite well in recent days. Following Friday’s win against San Francisco, the Phillies have a 2-3 mark in their last five games and a 4-6 record in their last 10.
- Philadelphia have several pitchers injured such as Edubray Ramos, Jerad Eickhoff and Adam Morgan, while Andrew McCutchen is out for the season with an injury and Odubel Herrera is suspended. Their top player to watch is Bryce Harper, who’s coming off his first multi-homer game of the season the last time out on Friday.
- Vince Velazquez will get the start for the Phillies in this one and the 27-year-old right-hander has been pitching at a high level of late thanks to a 2.04 ERA in his last three starts. Velazquez owns a 4-6 mark, a 4.23 ERA, 88 strikeouts and a 1.35 WHIP in 78.2 innings pitched across 24 appearances (14 starts).
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
- The Giants have won just once in their last five games so far and their overall record in their last 10 matches has also been quite poor, with only three wins in 10 matches. They have also allowed at least four runs in four of their last five losses.
- Veteran hurler Johnny Cueto has been sidelined with an elbow issue, while Steven Duggar is out for the season and Alex Dickerson is dealing with an oblique problem. Buster Posey is expected to be San Francisco’s top offensive threat since he’s batting .261 with a .723 OPS in 2019.
- Jeff Samardzija has been quite hot of late and even though he only pitched 4.0 innings in his last outing – where he allowed one run – he has a 2.11 ERA in his past seven starts. The 34-year-old veteran has an 8-9 mark with a 3.70 ERA, 110 strikeouts and a 1.16 WHIP in 126.1 innings pitched across 23 starts.
Both teams have struggled badly in recent weeks and it’s hard to see either side topping the other based on how they have played in the past days. However, this could play out as a pitching duel and if that’s the case, then Samardzija and the Giants could have the edge thanks to the 34-year-old’s impressive form in his last few starts.