2019 MLB – Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox Preview & Prediction
When is Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox taking place? Friday 9th August, 2019 – 20:10 (UK)
Where is Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox taking place? Guaranteed Rate Field
What is the expected weather for Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox? Sunny, 26c
What television channel is Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / WGN and MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Oakland Athletics @ Chicago White Sox? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Oakland Athletics 3 – 2 Chicago White Sox
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Athletics continue their trip across Chicago but lost two of three in their most recent series against the Cubs. However, they have still gone 3-2 in their last five games and own a 7-3 mark in their last 10 outings.
- Marcus Semien has gone 3-for-4 in his career against Chicago’s starter, Ross Detwiler, but has also been Oakland’s top hitter so far in August after going 9-for-23 with two homers, two doubles and three RBI this month. The Athletics’ injured list includes Ramon Laureano, Sean Manaea and Josh Phegley, but none are expected to be back before mid-August at the earliest.
- Mike Fiers gets the start for Oakland in this one. He holds the lowest ERA in the American League since April 26 (2.42) and recently picked up his 10th win of the season against the St. Louis Cardinals this past Saturday. He owns a 10-3 mark, a 3.46 ERA, a 1.14 WHIP and 91 strikeouts in 140.1 innings pitched across 24 starts.
CHICAGO WHITE SOX
- The White Sox have been scorching hot in recent weeks and won three of four games in their most recent series against the Detroit Tigers. They have gone 4-1 in their last five matches, but 5-5 in their last 10.
- Jose Abreu has been one of the best hitters for the White Sox in recent weeks, as the Cuban slugger is riding a five-game hitting streak, with five runs scored and six RBI over that span. Their injured list includes star second baseman Yoan Moncada, as well as pitchers Kelvin Herrera and Carson Fulmer.
- Ross Detwiler gets the ball for the White Sox in this one, and the former Athletics’ hurler allowed two runs in 5 2/3 innings in his most recent start against the Philadelphia Phillies. The 33-year-old lefty has a 1-2 mark with a 5.72 ERA, a 1.48 WHIP and 18 strikeouts in 28.1 innings pitched across eight appearances (four starts) in 2019.
Both teams have been playing at a high level in recent days, but the Athletics seem to be better equipped given their recent track record. Plus, the A’s also have a clear advantage in the pitching department as Fiers has been nearly untouchable over the past few months. Therefore, Oakland seem to be clear favourites heading into this matchup.