2019 MLB NLCS Game 2 – Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals Preview & Pick
When is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Saturday 12th October, 2019 – 21:08 (UK)
Where is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Busch Stadium
What is the expected weather for Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? Sunny, 15c
What television channel is Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / TBS, TBS-INT in the US
Where can I stream Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Washington Nationals @ St. Louis Cardinals? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Washington Nationals 2-0 St. Louis Cardinals
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Nationals produced a major shock when they eliminated Los Angeles Dodgers in a thrilling five-game series in the NLDS and as if that was not enough, they also secured the win in Game 1 of the NLCS with a solid performance across the board. They have all the momentum going on their side, as the Nats have gone 9-2 in their last 11 games dating all the way back to the regular season.
- Outfielder Victor Robles, catcher Kurt Suzuki and reliever Roenis Elias have all been included on the NLCS roster, so the Nationals do not have any injury absentees ahead of Game 2 though Daniel Hudson remains on the paternity list and has permission to be away from the team for a few days. Juan Soto and Anthony Rendon have been the driving forces for the Nationals during the playoffs so far, while Howie Kendrick has been scorching hot of late as well with five RBI in his last two games.
- Star right-hander Max Scherzer will get the start for Game 2 and while he has been thriving in the postseason, he struggled against the Cardinals in the regular season as ‘Mad Max’ went 0-2 with a 5.27 ERA in two starts against St. Louis. He will attempt to overcome those woes with a solid performance here.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
- The Cardinals used their experience and an offensive barrage to eliminate the Atlanta Braves in the NLDS, but they could not carry that form into Game 1 of the NLCS since they could not find a way to get past the Nationals and their stellar pitching. That result is a fair reflection of how they have been playing in recent weeks, since the Cardinals have gone 4-7 in their last 11 outings dating back to the regular season. Game 2 becomes absolutely pivotal for them to avoid falling into a 0-2 hole in the NLCS with two upcoming games at Nationals Park.
- Michael Wacha continues to deal with a shoulder injury, and he was left out of the NLCS roster, meaning the Cardinals will not make a single change from the roster that topped the Braves during the NLDS. He is the only injury concern for the Cardinals, however, so the rest of the team is healthy and ready to go. That includes sluggers Paul Goldschmidt and Marcell Ozuna, as both have been carrying the team offensively of late despite the team’s lack of effectiveness in Game 1.
- Veteran Adam Wainwright will get the start in Game 2 for the Cardinals and he turned the clock back with an impressive outing during Game 3 of the NLDS against the Braves, tossing 7 2/3 shutout innings. He was excellent at home as well, posting a 2.56 ERA in 16 starts at Busch Stadium during the regular season and they will rely on him to lead them to victory here.
The Nationals were dominant in the first game of the series, but it is unlikely that they will reproduce that kind of effectiveness on the mound. Even if the Nationals will remain competitive and having Scherzer is a plus, the Cardinals need to bounce back, and they also have a stellar pitcher with Adam Wainwright on the mound. Expect St. Louis to even the series in Game 2.