2019 MLB – New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics Preview & Prediction
When is New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics taking place? Thursday August 22nd, 2019 – 03:07 (UK)
Where is New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics taking place? Oakland Coliseum
What is the expected weather for New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics? Partly cloudy, 21c
What television channel is New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / YES Network, NBC Sports, ESPN in the US
Where can I stream New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv, WatchESPN in the US
Where can I get tickets for New York Yankees @ Oakland Athletics? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? New York Yankees 2 – 6 Oakland Athletics
THE TEAM NEWS
NEW YORK YANKEES
- The Yankees lost the series opener on Tuesday and now they are riding a two-game losing streak. Plus, their recent form hasn’t exactly been eye-popping with a 2-3 mark in their last five games, but they still are 7-3 over their last 10 outings.
- The Yankees remain one of the most depleted teams in all of MLB with several players in their injured list, such as Luis Severino, Giancarlo Stanton, Dellin Betances and other regulars. Two names to watch, however, are DJ LeMahieu (.338 average, .925 OPS) and Gleyber Torres (three home runs in his last seven games).
- J.A. Happ has struggled of late, posting a 6.23 ERA in his last four starts and a 6.37 ERA in his previous seven outings. Over the course of the season, the 36-year-old lefty owns a 5.40 ERA with a 10-7 mark, 101 strikeouts and a 1.37 WHIP across 125.0 innings pitched (24 starts).
- The Athletics got back to winning ways on Tuesday and now they are 4-1 in their last five MLB outings. They also are 7-3 in their last 10 games, and they keep pushing towards a potential postseason berth.
- Ramon Laureano, Brett Anderson and Sean Manaea have all been listed as out for the Athletics, with none expected to be available ahead of this contest. They have also released veteran right-hander Marco Estrada. Someone to watch is Mark Canha, who has hit for .333 with three home runs and six RBI in his last seven games.
- Mike Fiers will start this one for the Athletics. The 34-year-old right-hander has the lowest ERA in the American League since April 26 with a 2.52 mark, although in the entire season he owns a 3.46 ERA with a 11-3 mark, 102 strikeouts and a 1.11 WHIP across 153.1 innings pitched (26 starts). He is 3-0 with a 2.53 ERA in his last seven starts.
Despite the absences, the Yankees have been the best team in the American League during the 2019 season and have looked impressive thus far. The Athletics will send one of the best pitchers in the American League this year to the mound, and that pitching advantage could be decisive. Couple that with the home-field advantage, and the Athletics look like favourites ahead of this contest.