2019 MLB – Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals Preview & Prediction
When is Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Wednesday 31st July, 2019 – 01:15 (UK)
Where is Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals taking place? Busch Stadium
What is the expected weather for Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals? Sunny, 25c
What television channel is Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / NBC Sports Chicago, Fox Sports Midwest, MLB Network in the US
Where can I stream Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / Fox Sports GO, MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Chicago Cubs @ St. Louis Cardinals? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Chicago Cubs 5 – 1 St. Louis Cardinals
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Cubs lost two of three in their previous series against the Milwaukee Brewers and have gone 2-3 in their last five games. Their 10-game record shouldn’t surprise anyone either, as Joe Maddon’s men have gone 5-5 over that span.
- Chicago have several regulars in their current injured list, including Xavier Cedeno, Cole Hamels, Brenden Morrow and Daniel Descalso. Kris Bryant and Jason Heyward could be players to watch for the Cubs, as both have hit over .300 against Adam Wainwright for their careers. Willson Contreras has hit .176 against the veteran right-hander but has two homers in 17 at-bats against him.
- Yu Darvish will get the start for the Cubs here. He’s been one of the best pitchers in the National League since the All-Star Break with a 2.00 ERA and 21 Ks in 18 innings across three starts. He owns a 4.54 ERA, 132 Ks and a 1.23 WHIP in 115 IP (21 starts) in 2019.
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
- St. Louis lost two of three in their most recent series against the Houston Astros and enter this game riding a two-game losing streak. They have gone 3-2 in their last five games, however, while their 10-game record shows a strong 7-3 mark.
- The Cardinals are seriously depleted when it comes to injuries, including Dexter Fowler, Yadier Molina, Matt Carpenter, Marcell Ozuna and Jedd Gyorko. One player who has picked up the slack has been Paul Goldschmidt, as the All-Star first baseman has hit for .345 with six homers and a 1.353 OPS over the last seven days.
- Veteran righty Adam Wainwright will get the ball for the Cardinals here. The 37-year-old hurler has a 7-7 mark, a 4.63 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP and 98 Ks in 103 IP across 19 starts in 2019. He’s coming off a win against the Pittsburgh Pirates in his most recent start.
The Cubs lead the season series between these two teams 6-3, and it’s worth noting there have been three-game sweeps in each of the previous series so far. The fact that the Cubs have won the last three against St. Louis, their better record and the fact that the Cardinals are heavily depleted should tip the scales towards Chicago here.