When is Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets taking place? Thursday 29th August, 2019 – 00:10 (UK)
Where is Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets taking place? Citi Field
What is the expected weather for Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets? Rain likely, 21c
What television channel is Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / NBC Sports Chicago, SNY in the US
Where can I stream Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Chicago Cubs @ New York Mets? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Chicago Cubs 5 – 2 New York Mets
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Cubs ended a three-game losing streak with their win on Tuesday, but they are only 2-3 in their last five MLB outings. However, they are 6-4 in their last 10 MLB games, so they are still on a decent run – one that keeps them alive in the race for the NL Central title against the red-hot St. Louis Cardinals.
- The Cubs will be without a few key players ahead of this game, as Anthony Rizzo is dealing with a back issue and Cole Hamels is out on paternity leave. Willson Contreras, Ben Zobrist and Daniel Descalso are out as well. Considering the absences, one player to watch is Javier Baez since he went 3-for-3 with three RBI on Tuesday. He is hitting for .285 with 29 home runs and 85 RBI in 2019.
- Kyle Hendricks will start for the Cubs in this one. The 29-year-old right-hander is 9-9 with a 3.20 ERA, a 1.10 WHIP and 122 strikeouts in 143.1 innings pitched across 24 starts. He is also 2-2 with a 2.57 ERA in his last seven starts, so he is trending in the right direction of late.
NEW YORK METS
- Following Tuesday’s loss, the Mets extended their losing streak to four games and have a 1-4 record in their last five games. They are 5-5 in their last 10 games, and need to play better in the upcoming weeks if they want to remain alive in the race for a National League Wild Card.
- Edwin Diaz is day-to-day with a neck issue, while Brandon Nimmo and Steven Matz are out due to injuries. Meanwhile, Robinson Cano will return towards the end of the regular season due to a hamstring issue. Jeff McNeil has provided a spark for the Mets all season long, and he is currently in the race to win the National League batting title since he is hitting for .330 in 2019 despite going 0-for-4 on Tuesday.
- Noah Syndergaard will get the ball for the Mets here. “Thor” has been one of the best pitchers in baseball since the All-Star Break with a 1.82 ERA and 55 strikeouts across 54 1/3 innings. Throughout the season, the 26-year-old right-hander is 9-6 with a 3.71 ERA, a 1.18 WHIP and 156 strikeouts across 160.0 innings pitched (25 starts).
Both the Cubs and the Mets were swept in their recent three-game series, against the Washington Nationals and the Atlanta Braves respectively, losing ground on their respective playoff races, and both are under .500 in their last five games. This contest might be decided by the pitching given both team’s poor recent form and if that’s the case the Mets have the edge with Syndergaard, who is one of the best pitchers in the second half of the season. New York should come home with the win here.