2019 MLB – Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox Preview & Prediction
When is Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox taking place? Saturday 28th September, 2019 – 00:10 (UK)
Where is Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox taking place? Fenway Park
What is the expected weather for Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox? Clear, 19c
What television channel is Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox on? BT Sport 1 in the UK / MASN, NESN in the US
Where can I stream Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website or app in the UK / MLB.tv in the US
Where can I get tickets for Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox? https://www.mlb.com/tickets/season-tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Baltimore Orioles 7 – 13 Boston Red Sox
THE TEAM NEWS
- The Orioles have been one of the worst teams in MLB this season and it seems they simply want the season to end as soon as possible. They lost two of three against the Toronto Blue Jays in their most recent series and their numbers do not look good, with 2-3 in their last five games and 3-7 over their last 10 outings.
- Outfielder Mason Williams is day-to-day, while Hunter Harvey, Alex Cobb and Josh Rogers are already out for the season. One player to keep an eye for the Orioles is Jonathan Villar, as he has shown a rare combo of power and speed this season with 24 home runs and 39 stolen bases.
- Asher Wojciechowski will make his final start of the regular season against a team he already shut down back in July this year. The 30-year-old journeyman is 3-8 with a 5.31 ERA and a 135 WHIP this season, while posting an even-worse 5.97 ERA across his last seven starts.
BOSTON RED SOX
- It’s worth noting that the Red Sox have a three-game winning streak against the Orioles alive, because that’s their lone positive aspect when it comes to their form. They are 3-2 in their last five games, and 4-6 over their last 10 MLB outings. Plus, they missed out on a postseason berth for the first time since 2015.
- Christian Vazquez and Mookie Betts are both day-to-day ahead of this contest, and both could return to action Friday if they keep progressing well. The rest of the injured players, such as Chris Sale, David Price and Dustin Pedroia, are already out until next year.
- Nathan Eovaldi will get the ball for the Red Sox here. The 29-year-old righty has only made 11 starts (22 appearances) this season due to injury and is 2-0 with a 6.03 ERA and a 1.60 WHIP. He has struggled of late, with 6.35 ERA in his last seven starts, but is coming off a strong start the last time out when he allowed just three runs in six innings against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Neither side has anything to play for in this game as both have already been eliminated from playoff contention. However, the Red Sox have the superior lineup and, even though both pitchers have struggled, Nathan Eovaldi is far more experienced than the Orioles' Asher Wojciechowski. If we also add the fact that they are playing at home, then Boston should be considered as the favourite ahead of this contest.