AT A GLANCE
When is Australia vs India taking place? Saturday, 12th January, 02:20
Where is Australia vs India taking place? Sydney
What is the expected weather for Australia vs India? Temperatures around 21-23c and sunshine forecast all day
What channel is Australia vs India on? The match will be shown live on BT Sport 2
Where can I stream Australia vs India? Australia vs India will be streamed live on the BT Sport app
Are tickets still available for Australia vs India? https://resale.ticketmaster.com.au/Sydney-Cricket-Ground-Tickets/Venue/4340
India beat Australia by 7 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Aaron Finch
- After losing the Test series in convincing fashion even if the scoreline only read 2-1, Australia will be desperate to compete hard in the one-day series now although their form in this format of the game is poor in recent times also.
- There has been some controversy around their selections for this series as Chris Lynn, D’Arcy Short and Travis Head have all been dropped with the likes of Usman Khawaja, Peter Siddle and Peter Handscombe coming into the squad which many view as a backward and negative step.
- Mitchell Marsh is ruled out through illness but the returning players are all set to start this match while pacemen Jason Behrendorff, Billy Stanlake and Jhye Richardson are vying for two places to spearhead the bowling attack against India as the Test men like Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins are all rested.
Captain: Virat Kohli
- India’s confidence is flying right now after their historic Test victory and they are moving to a format where they were in superb form in 2018 winning 14 of their 20 matches in the fifty-over format.
- They have great riches in all positions but they are likely to be without Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul after recent comments made on a television show that the BCCI have taken a dim view of so the likelihood is that they will not be considered for selection here which is no major issue given their strength and depth.
- MS Dhoni comes back in with the gloves while the all-rounder duties will be handed to Ravindra Jadeja who has been in good form of late, and everything points towards a high-scoring game here so Rohit Sharm and Virat Kohli will be keen to continue their strong form in this format.
India have to be favoured in this opening ODI given how settled their team has been in recent times compared to this Australia side that has undergone even more changes. Australia look to have more depth to their batting line-up with somebody like Maxwell at seven, but India have the stronger top order and their bowling attack has the edge also. It seems highly improbable that the hosts will be able to make so many changes and then just turn on the style, and with confidence and continuity on the side of the tourists, they are favoured here.