AT A GLANCE
When? Wednesday 4thJuly, 19:00 (UK)
Where? The CloudFM County Ground
Weather? 21c and sunshine all day
What channel is it on? Essex Eagles vs Sussex Sharks will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream the match? N/A
Are tickets still available? https://www.ecb.co.uk/tickets/domestic
All-time meetings: Essex Eagles W11, Sussex Sharks W13
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Anthony McGrath
Captain: Ryan ten Doeschate
- Essex warmed up for this t20 opener by playing a friendly against Essex Premier Leagues XI on Monday and they cantered to victory so they will be hoping to carry some of that form into this albeit against much sterner opposition.
- They will be hoping that Australian spinner Adam Zampa can find his best form if they are to have any hope of progressing in this tournament, and he played well in the warm-up match collecting a couple of wickets for just ten runs from three overs.
- Neil Wagner is the other overseas player to start the tournament before Peter Siddle is available later in the summer, but they will need their overseas stars and Ravi Bopara especially to really hit the ground running.
Coach: Jason Gillespie
Captain: Luke Wright
- There is huge anticipation for the Sharks coming into this season’s t20 Blast as they have the world’s best T20 bowler in their ranks in Rashid Khan who has been named in the 13-man squad for this game.
- After shining in the Big Bash and IPL, Khan will look to make a major impact in the English T20 competition and the Sharks have put together a strong team as Kiwi Tom Bruce will also make his debut for the team as another overseas star.
- Stiaan van Zyl is ruled out through a knee injury but with Luke Wright captaining the side, and the likes of Jofra Archer and David Wiese in their ranks, this is a powerful Sussex team that expects to go far in the tournament.
This will be a fascinating opening match for both teams which will give them a real taste and insight into how far they can go this season. The excitement surrounding Rashid Khan’s debut will motivate both teams, but the talented young Afghani spinner could be the difference maker. Sussex have some excellent bowling options who are match winners in Khan and Archer, and that should see them start their campaign with a victory.