When is Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka taking place? Friday 12th July, 2019 – 11:25 (UK)
Where is Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka taking place? M&S Banks Arena, Liverpool
What television channel is Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka on? This match will be televised live on Sky Sports Action
Where can I stream Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka? There are plenty of tickets available for this session!
THE TEAM NEWS
- In the African Regional Qualifier, Zimbabwe defeated Kenya 58-42 to ultimately secure them the second qualifying spot behind Uganda but their preparations have been somewhat disrupted ahead of the tournament as they were the last team to decide their squad.
- Zimbabwe are coached by Lloyd Makunde and the 13th INF ranked nation will be making their first ever World Cup appearance in Liverpool so motivation will be high to show they can compete on the world stage.
- The Gems will be targeting a positive result here and against Northern Ireland as they aim to perform well and boost their world ranking and they will look to UK-based defender Adelaide Muskwe to lead their hopes.
- Sri Lanka booked their tenth appearance in the World Cup thanks to remaining undefeated during the Asian regional qualifiers in 2018 but they are one of the outsiders in the tournament and in their group which contains holders and favourites Australia.
- Goal defence Chathurangi Jayasooriya will captain the Sri Lankan squad that includes Gayanjali Amarawansa who will make her debut for the team, and they will need several players to step up and support their star captain.
- Sri Lanka’s best finish at the World Cup is ninth place way back in 1963 when the first ever World Cup was hosted in Eastbourne, and they are expected to battle their opponents here for third place in the group.
Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka will most likely battle it out for third place in Group A and the opening match will play a significant role in determining that. Zimbabwe will be competing in their first World Cup but they arguably have the edge in quality here so expect the Gems to win their first game against Sri Lanka who are ranked five places below them in the world rankings.