AT A GLANCE
When is New Zealand vs Pakistan taking place? Wednesday, November 7th
Where New Zealand vs Pakistan taking place? Dubai International Cricket Stadium
What is the expected weather for New Zealand vs Pakistan? 28-30c with sun forecast all day
What channel is New Zealand vs Pakistan on? The match will be shown live on Star GOLD (Sky Channel 729)
Where can I stream New Zealand vs Pakistan? The match will not be available via streaming
Are tickets still available for New Zealand vs Pakistan? https://www.q-tickets.com/pakvnz2018/eventlist.aspx
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Kane Williamson
- New Zealand have shown a real fragility in their batting line-up that progressively got worse as the T20 series went off and this culminated in losing eight wickets for just 23 runs in the final T20 match as they crumbled once again and they will hope the longer format allows them to regain some form and pride.
- They have been dealt a blow by the injury to Corey Anderson as his heel problem kept him out of the final T20 match and that is a significant loss as he has been in fine form in 2018 so spinner Ajaz Patel, fast bowler Lockie Ferguson and batsmen George Worker have all been added to the squad.
- Trent Boult did not participate in the T20s but he returns for the ODIs so he will add another excellent pace option but the emphasis is really on the batting line-up to raise their game and this format will likely suit them better here as they can build an innings.
Captain: Sarfraz Ahmed
- Pakistan sealed their 11th
consecutive series win in the T20 format as they whitewashed New Zealand but they come into the one-day series with a poor record against them having lost their last 11 completed matches against the visitors.
- The Pakistani squad is largely the same as that which featured in the T20s but they welcome Imam-ul-Haq back into the fold for this match though they are unlikely move too far from the core of the team that dominated the T20 matches.
- After making a couple of rotations in the final T20 match, they will revert to what is considered their strongest side right now and expect the likes of Mohammad Hafeez to contribute even more with his spin in the middle overs to support the bowling unit.
Pakistan ran out comprehensive winners of the T20 series as they whitewashed New Zealand but the visitors will have more confidence in the ODIs where they have a superb recent record against Pakistan. New Zealand have won the last 11 completed ODIs against Pakistan so that will give them good confidence. This format does suit their batsmen more also as aside from Colin Munro and his big hitting, the 50 over format does allow their better batsmen like Ross Taylor and Kane Williamson to build an innings. Confidence may be an issue as Pakistan are flying right now but this is a different challenge for them. They have only beaten Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in ODI in 2018 and have lost the other seven matches against New Zealand and India, so there may be some value in the visitors picking up a win in this opening match.