AT A GLANCE
When is Australia vs South Africa taking place? Sunday, November 4th
Where Australia vs South Africa taking place? Perth
What is the expected weather for Australia vs South Africa? 17-20c with some cloud but no rain forecast
What channel is Australia vs South Africa on? The match will be shown live on BT Sport 1
Where can I stream Australia vs South Africa? The match will be streamed live on BT Sport app
Are tickets still available for Australia vs South Africa? http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/gillette-one-day-international-series-burswood-western-australia-04-11-2018/event/250054BCF09E5825?Camefrom=CFC_AU_CKA_CA%20TOS%20ODI
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Aaron Finch
- Australia come into the series after a difficult mini series in the UAE against Pakistan where they came off comfortably second best and now they face another difficult opponent, albeit at home, as South Africa come to town.
- The batting has been a major concern in the UAE and particularly how fragile they were after losing a wicket so that will simply have to be remedied here but they will benefit from being on home turf with the pitches suiting both their batsmen and pacemen much more.
- Mitchell Starc was held out of the matches in the UAE with a troublesome injury and he remains an injury concern although in fairness, the bowling unit did relatively well against Pakistan so that is a less of an issue, but they will hope their batsmen can find some form right from the start of this season.
Captain: Faf du Plessis
- South Africa have not had much time to prepare for this game having arrived in Australia, and had a short warm-up match across in Canberra before returning to prepare for this match but they will take heart from the fact they whitewashed Australia in their last ODI series meeting 5-0 in 2016.
- Their batting line-up is somewhat weakened by the absence of Hashim Amla and JP Duminy so the likes of Reeza Hendricks and Farhaan Berhardien will likely get a chance and they will have to step up, while there will be a heavy reliance on veterans like De Kock and skipper Du Plessis.
- The bowling attack is fearsome however as they have arguably the best pace strike force in cricket right now and Imran Tahir as an excellent spin option so they will be determined to make an immediate impact in this opening ODI.
This promises to be a hugely entertaining and competitive series between these two sides who should both be performing better than they currently are. Australia are in something of a slump which is partially down to the issues that cropped up the last time they faced South Africa, but they are also struggling psychologically right now. South Africa’s preparations have not been completely ideal but they will come firing on all cylinders. The bowling attacking is arguably the best around at the moment and they may just edge this opener although it really could go either way.