When is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Friday, 15th March, 04:00
Where is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Dehradun
What is the expected weather for Afghanistan vs Ireland? 21-23c with sunshine forecast for the majority of the next five days
What channel is Afghanistan vs Ireland on? The match will not be shown live
Where can I stream Afghanistan vs Ireland? The match will not be streamed live
Where can I get tickets for Afghanistan vs Ireland? Tickets can be purchased directly at the stadium or online https://ticketgenie.in/Event/Afghanistan-Ireland
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Asghar Afghan
- Afghanistan come into this Test match for what will just be their second ever five-day game having played India in June 2018 where they lost by an innings and 262 runs, and they will hope to get a positive result here in the final match of the visit of Ireland.
- They lost the final one day international to Ireland after a disappointing performance and will have been frustrated to have drawn that series in the end but their lack of concentration and patience will be tested even further in the longest format of the game here.
- Bowlers Zahir Khan and Sayed Shirzad have been named in the squad for this match and could feature here, while their key men Asghar Afghan, Rashid Khan, Mohammad Nabi and Mohammad Shahzad will be asked to form the core of the side in this one-off Test match and make the difference.
Captain: William Porterfield
- Ireland come into what will be their second ever Test match following their first that took place last May at home in Malahide against Pakistan which they lost by five wickets so at least one of these teams will win their first Test match if there is a result.
- Their squad for this Test match will be the same as that which played in the ODIs with skipper William Porterfield leading the way and this format will arguably suit them more with their batsmen not possessing the same big-hitting as the Afghans, but greater patience and focus.
- The longer format of the game will be a big test for the stamina of their pace bowlers also so the spinners will be key for them in this game and if they are to have any success here, showing patience and determination with bat and ball is going to be key.
Afghanistan were dominant in the T20 series but the gap closed in the ODIs as Ireland won the fifth match to tie the series 2-2. The tourists have been able to compete better in the longer format and as they have acclimatised to conditions also, so that should make this Test competitive. Both teams have only ever played one Test match in their histories so it is relatively new to both and will test their levels of concentration and focus. Ireland probably have the edge in that department but they do lack the star quality that Afghanistan possess. One has to think that the likes of Nabi and Rashid Khan will give them the edge ultimately but the Irish cannot be ruled out based on how they have improved with every match.