When is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Thursday, 28th February, 07:30
Where is Afghanistan vs Ireland taking place? Dehradun
What is the expected weather for Afghanistan vs Ireland? 14-17c with cooler temperatures but sunshine forecast all day
What channel is Afghanistan vs Ireland on? The match will not be shown live
Where can I stream Afghanistan vs Ireland? The match will not be streamed live
Where can I get tickets for Afghanistan vs Ireland? Tickets can be purchased directly at the stadium or online https://ticketgenie.in/Event/Afghanistan-Ireland
Afghanistan beat Ireland by 8 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Asghar Afghan
- Afghanistan come into this ODI series with plenty of confidence having dominated Ireland in the T20 series and sweeping all three games there so they move into the longer one day format determined to do well especially in a World Cup year for which they have qualified.
- They have named a 20-man squad for these matches and they will likely rotate as the series progresses but they will start with something close to their strongest team and that will see Mohammad Shahzad come back in after missing the T20 matches to partner Hazratullah Zazai in a formidable opening partnership with the bat.
- Compared to the T20 team, there are a number of further changes with the likes of Rahmat Shah and Hashmatullah Shahidi coming in but their key set of core players like Asghar Afghan, Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan are all starting.
Captain: William Porterfield
- Ireland play their first ODI in several months and they will have to pick themselves up following their T20 drubbing and try brush that heavy loss from their minds and compete against Afghanistan over the longer format.
- They are boosted by the fact experienced skipper William Porterfield is available to come into the side so he will open the batting along with Paul Stirling and those two will be key in setting the tone for their team.
- The batting was one of their main issues in the T20 matches as they struggled badly against the Afghani spinners but this format will suit them and their bowlers much more so the emphasis really is on their experienced players to lead the way and try to be more competitive here.
Afghanistan were better than Ireland in every single facet of the game in the T20s but the tourists will hope to be much more competitive in this format of the game. They can welcome Porterfield back and that will be a big boost to them, but their flaws against spin on favourable pitches in Dehradun will still surely be evident. Their best chance will be to bat first and try and build a competitive score to put some pressure on Afghanistan but Asghar Afghan’s men just look too strong for them all round.